PCI announces Rs 5 lakh for javelin thrower Jhajharia
New Delhi: The Paralympic Committee of India today announced a cash prize of Rs five lakh for Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia who won a gold medal at the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon, France.
"PCI President Sultan Ahmed announced Cash Prize of Rs. 5 Lacs to Devendra Jhajharia from Paralympic Committee of India," the sport governing body said in a release.
Jhajharia, who got the Padma Shri award last year, set a new meet record in the F42 men`s event by throwing a distance of 57.04m on Sunday. He comfortably surpassed the old record of 55.90m of Chunliang Guo of China created at the 2011 World Championships in New Zealand.
This was India`s first medal at the ongoing championships.
He is a one-armed javelin thrower from Rajasthan. He had won gold medal in the javelin throw at the 2004 Summer Paralympics in Athens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him