PCI announces Rs 5 lakh for javelin thrower Jhajharia
New Delhi: The Paralympic Committee of India today announced a cash prize of Rs five lakh for Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia who won a gold medal at the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon, France.
"PCI President Sultan Ahmed announced Cash Prize of Rs. 5 Lacs to Devendra Jhajharia from Paralympic Committee of India," the sport governing body said in a release.
Jhajharia, who got the Padma Shri award last year, set a new meet record in the F42 men`s event by throwing a distance of 57.04m on Sunday. He comfortably surpassed the old record of 55.90m of Chunliang Guo of China created at the 2011 World Championships in New Zealand.
This was India`s first medal at the ongoing championships.
He is a one-armed javelin thrower from Rajasthan. He had won gold medal in the javelin throw at the 2004 Summer Paralympics in Athens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 24 dead after boat carrying 40 capsizes in river Ganga in Patna; many still missing
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: What characteristics define a true leader?
- Abhishek Bachchan reveals the moment when Aishwarya Rai said 'yes' to him
- India vs England, 1st ODI: As it happened...
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre