PCI announces Rs 5 lakh for javelin thrower Jhajharia
New Delhi: The Paralympic Committee of India today announced a cash prize of Rs five lakh for Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia who won a gold medal at the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon, France.
"PCI President Sultan Ahmed announced Cash Prize of Rs. 5 Lacs to Devendra Jhajharia from Paralympic Committee of India," the sport governing body said in a release.
Jhajharia, who got the Padma Shri award last year, set a new meet record in the F42 men`s event by throwing a distance of 57.04m on Sunday. He comfortably surpassed the old record of 55.90m of Chunliang Guo of China created at the 2011 World Championships in New Zealand.
This was India`s first medal at the ongoing championships.
He is a one-armed javelin thrower from Rajasthan. He had won gold medal in the javelin throw at the 2004 Summer Paralympics in Athens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- When UN declared Dr APJ Abdul Kalam's 79th birthday as World Students' Day
- SC hearing on 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's curative plea
- Bollywood pays respect to Dr APJ Abdul Kalam