PCI announces Rs 5 lakh for javelin thrower Jhajharia
New Delhi: The Paralympic Committee of India today announced a cash prize of Rs five lakh for Javelin thrower Devendra Jhajharia who won a gold medal at the IPC Athletics World Championships in Lyon, France.
"PCI President Sultan Ahmed announced Cash Prize of Rs. 5 Lacs to Devendra Jhajharia from Paralympic Committee of India," the sport governing body said in a release.
Jhajharia, who got the Padma Shri award last year, set a new meet record in the F42 men`s event by throwing a distance of 57.04m on Sunday. He comfortably surpassed the old record of 55.90m of Chunliang Guo of China created at the 2011 World Championships in New Zealand.
This was India`s first medal at the ongoing championships.
He is a one-armed javelin thrower from Rajasthan. He had won gold medal in the javelin throw at the 2004 Summer Paralympics in Athens.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: How Russian special forces Spetsnaz will end terror of ISIS
- Panel discussion on BJP MLAs assaulting legislator Rashid inside J&K Assembly
- Two J&K MLAs clash over beef party issue in Legislative Assembly
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- FIR against Asaduddin Owaisi for posting objectionable picture of Yogi Adityanath on Facebook
- Bihar has to choose between 'jungle raj' and 'vikas Raj': Narendra Modi
- Shocking! Saudi employer chops off Indian maid's hands
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head