Poonia fourth at Perfontaine Classic Diamond League Meet
New Delhi: Olympic-bound Indian discus thrower Krishna Poonia came up with a below-par effort of 62.11m to miss out on a medal and settle for the fourth spot in the Perfontaine Classic Diamond League Meet at Eugene in Oregon, United States.
Krishna`s effort was markedly lower than the national record of 64.76m that she pulled off to qualify for the London Olympics in Hawaii earlier this month.
But it was still better than 2008 Olympics gold winner Stephanie Brown Trafton of United States who had a No Mark against her name.
The gold in the event went to Sandra Perkovic (66.92m) of Croatia, who won the Shanghai leg of Diamond League Meet in 68.24m.
The other two Indian women taking part in the fourth leg of the 14-leg Diamond League Meet series are Asian Games gold medallist in 10,000m Preeja Sreedharan and silver medallist Kavita Raut.
Sreedharan and Raut are yet to attain Olympics qualification.
The duo, along with 3000m steeplechase Asian Games gold medallist Sudha Singh and O P Jaisha, were earlier training in Kenya before moving base to Brescia in Northern Italy to train under Claudio Berardelli, regarded as one of the best endurance-running coaches in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- India's spectrum proceeds seen way below target at $10-$12 bn: HSBC
- England's Roy Hodgson dismisses report of Wayne Rooney-Jamie Vardy rift
- China, Russia fed up with US hegemony: Chinese daily
- BJP ally Shiv Sena accuses saffron party of spreading falsehood, rumours
- TCS to be levied above Rs 2 lakh only if payment in cash: CBDT