Preparatory events for Olympic-bound athletes approved
New Delhi: The Multi Disciplinary Steering Committee of the sports ministry has approved the preparatory tournaments for Hockey Olympic qualifiers ahead of the upcoming London Games.
The committee met under the chairmanship of secretary (Sports) on May 18 and approved coaching camps and preparatory tournaments for Olympic qualifiers and the sparring partners on the basis of proposals submitted by the Hockey India.
The team comprising of 22 Players, three coaches and five supporting staff, an umpire (mandatory as per FIH Rules) and a manager will undergo training and play matches with French team at Lille (France) from June 28 to July 1.
The committee has also given its approval for extension of contract of Shrikant Iyengar, the Physiotherapist with Indian men hockey team from April 2012 till the Olympic Games in August this year.
Meanwhile, the committee has also approved a few proposals submitted by the Athletics Federation of India.
The proposals asked for the training programme of athletes Renjith Maheshwari, Ankit Sharma and along with foreign coach, Shivilli, in Italy, besides the inclusion of walkers Ifran K T and Sandeep Singh as core probables for OPEX-2012 and joining of Renu Kohli, athletic coach (long & middle distance runners) for the long and middle distance core probables training in Italy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jawaharlal Nehru's Wikipedia page edited from govt IP address; Congress seeks PM Modi's reply
- No liberal approach, mediation or compromise in rape cases: Supreme Court
- Lalitgate: Centre denies deal with Congress over Sushma Swaraj, Vasundhara Raje
- Lalitgate: BJP helping fugitives, law breakers; PM Modi doing 'Maun Yoga', alleges Congress
- Parliamentary panel recommends 100% salary hike for MPs, health benefits for grandchildren