Preparatory events for Olympic-bound athletes approved
New Delhi: The Multi Disciplinary Steering Committee of the sports ministry has approved the preparatory tournaments for Hockey Olympic qualifiers ahead of the upcoming London Games.
The committee met under the chairmanship of secretary (Sports) on May 18 and approved coaching camps and preparatory tournaments for Olympic qualifiers and the sparring partners on the basis of proposals submitted by the Hockey India.
The team comprising of 22 Players, three coaches and five supporting staff, an umpire (mandatory as per FIH Rules) and a manager will undergo training and play matches with French team at Lille (France) from June 28 to July 1.
The committee has also given its approval for extension of contract of Shrikant Iyengar, the Physiotherapist with Indian men hockey team from April 2012 till the Olympic Games in August this year.
Meanwhile, the committee has also approved a few proposals submitted by the Athletics Federation of India.
The proposals asked for the training programme of athletes Renjith Maheshwari, Ankit Sharma and along with foreign coach, Shivilli, in Italy, besides the inclusion of walkers Ifran K T and Sandeep Singh as core probables for OPEX-2012 and joining of Renu Kohli, athletic coach (long & middle distance runners) for the long and middle distance core probables training in Italy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Importance of viewers' comments and remarks on reported news
- DNA: Has PM Modi's mention of Balochistan during I-Day speech unsettled China?
- DNA: Why commuting by bus in India is an unpleasant experience
- DNA: Elderly couple forced to live separately after 62 years; images go viral
- DNA: Unhappy with stint in Rio, Kim Jong-un announces penalty for North Korean olympians
- Attempt to provoke India again? Pak aircraft violates Indian airspace in J&K
- No blanket ban on pellet guns in Kashmir Valley, to be used in 'rarest of rare cases'
- Kerry arrives in India for strategic dialogue; terrorism emanating from Pakistan, visa issues on agenda
- UP polls: Rahul Gandhi to cover 2,500 km, 233 Assembly constituencies, 39 districts, but no big rallies
- Lionel Messi's Argentina return hampered by groin injury, Sergio Aguero too ruled out