Pullela Gopichand wants young shuttlers to focus on the packed-year
Hyderabad: Chief National Coach Pullela Gopichand today said that young shuttlers would be focussed to do well in the major tournaments like Commonwealth Games and Asian Games scheduled to be held later this year.
"There are five big events. The All England, the Thomas Uber Cup, the World Championships, Commonwealth and Asian Games. I think in these five events, it is important that the players prepare well, focus well and push themselves to play well in the big events where it matters," Gopichand said.
Expressing happiness over Saina Nehwal winning the recent India Open, Gopichand said the star shuttler would do well in the year ahead.
"I think it is a good performance in Lucknow. We could not only win, the way she played, her fitness was good. I believe this is the first step for what is going to be a good year for Saina," he said.
Noting that young player K Srikanth should have won in the tournament, Gopichand expressed hope that the player would go on win important tournaments.
"I thought Srikanth should have won. He almost wrapped up the match. I think it is going to be a learning lesson for him. He played a phenomenal tournament. I do believe he has lot of talent and hopefully we will get him to win many more events this year," he said.
Gopichand, who has been selected for Padma Bhushan award recently, said he felt honoured for being chosen for the coveted prize.
"When I started or even a few years down the line, I never expected any of these things to come by. I take one step at a time and try to give my best shot. I have gone this far. I am just grateful for this journey. I am happy. I know how big is, I am so much more grateful and thankful to god and all those who supported me.
"Each and every time, I get an award I feel there is a need to be more grounded and focused and give more results for the expectations which the people and government would have," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced