Rio Olympics to have new women`s wrestling categories
Geneva: The wrestling world`s governing body, FILA, announced here Tuesday that two weight categories will be added in the women`s section in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
The two new categories will replace a weight class in men`s freestyle and Greco-Roman section, reports Xinhua.
This change, going into effect in 2014, will ensure a 6-6-6 split among the three disciplines.
Now the light classes in men`s freestyle will be 57 and 65 kilograms instead of 55kg, 60kg and 66kg while in Greco-Roman, the two light classes are now 59kg and 66kg rather than 55kg, 60kg and 66kg as in the London Olympics.
Freestyle middleweight will remain 74kg, followed by 86, 97 and 125kg for heavyweights. Greco-Roman wrestlers will also compete at 75, 85, 98 and 130kg.
Women`s freestyle was introduced for the 2004 Olympics and competed at 48, 55, 63 and 72kg in London last summer. They will wrestle at 48, 53, 58, 63, 69 and 75kg in the 2016 Games.
Wrestling was dropped from the list of Olympic core sports in February but was reinstated in September after changes intended to modernize wrestling.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Tirupati, Tirumala rains update: Temple remains open; pilgrims continue to pour in for darshan
- BJP's big poser to Aamir Khan: Is there any better neighbour for Muslims than a Hindu?
- Muslim leader Asaduddin Owaisi says Aamir Khan wrong in wanting to leave India