Rio Olympics to have new women`s wrestling categories
Geneva: The wrestling world`s governing body, FILA, announced here Tuesday that two weight categories will be added in the women`s section in the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympics.
The two new categories will replace a weight class in men`s freestyle and Greco-Roman section, reports Xinhua.
This change, going into effect in 2014, will ensure a 6-6-6 split among the three disciplines.
Now the light classes in men`s freestyle will be 57 and 65 kilograms instead of 55kg, 60kg and 66kg while in Greco-Roman, the two light classes are now 59kg and 66kg rather than 55kg, 60kg and 66kg as in the London Olympics.
Freestyle middleweight will remain 74kg, followed by 86, 97 and 125kg for heavyweights. Greco-Roman wrestlers will also compete at 75, 85, 98 and 130kg.
Women`s freestyle was introduced for the 2004 Olympics and competed at 48, 55, 63 and 72kg in London last summer. They will wrestle at 48, 53, 58, 63, 69 and 75kg in the 2016 Games.
Wrestling was dropped from the list of Olympic core sports in February but was reinstated in September after changes intended to modernize wrestling.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'