Sabres` Konopka banned 20 games for doping
New York: Buffalo Sabres forward Zenon Konopka has been suspended for 20 games for violating the NHL`s anti-doping programme, the league said Thursday.
In a brief statement, the league didn`t reveal the substance in question, saying only that the Canadian player had violated the terms of the NHL/NHL Players Association joint performance enhancing substances program.
Konopka issued a statement through the players association accepting responsibility and saying that the substance was in an over-the-counter product he used.
"I deeply regret that I have tested positive for a prohibited substance in violation of the NHL/NHLPA Performance Enhancing Substances Program," he said. "I accept full responsibility for this error. As a professional athlete I am responsible for what I put in my body, and I am to blame for this mistake.
"I want to make it clear that this violation occurred because I ingested a product that can be purchased over the counter and which, unknown to me, contained a substance that violated the program.
"Unfortunately, I did not take the necessary care to ensure that the product did not contain a prohibited substance. I want to stress, however, that I did not take this substance for the purpose of enhancing my athletic performance."
Konopka, 33, was already facing an uncertain NHL future. He is due to become an unrestricted free agent in July, and the NHL said his suspension would begin after he is signed to a new contract.
Konopka, who played this season for the Minnesota Wild and the Sabres, totaled a goal and two assists in 59 games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video