SAF Games, National Games to be discussed in IOA meeting
New Delhi: Decisions concerning the dates of the South Asian Federation Games which India will host and National Games could be taken in the Indian Olympic Association Executive Committee meeting to be held here on March 27.
The IOA had in 2012 proposed to host the SAF Games here early last year but then Sports Minister Ajay Maken had wanted to defer the regional multi-sporting event to this year, citing administrative difficulties that could have arisen due to the Delhi Assembly elections.
After the IOA was suspended by the International Olympic Committee in December 2012, the hosting of the SAF Games remained in a limbo. The last SAF Games were held in Dhaka in 2010. The meeting, the first for the newly-elected IOA office bearers, is also likely to fix dates for the 35th National Games to be held in Kerala.
In recent years, the National Games have been postponed several times. The 34th National Games were postponed six times before finally being held in Ranchi in 2011. Kerala were to host the 35th National Games in 2012 but had to be deferred several times. The 36th National Games will be held in Goa and the 37th edition in Chhattisgarh.
The meeting will also discuss the preparation of Indian athletes for the upcoming Commonwealth and Asian Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened