SAI felicitates weightlifters for good show in C`wealth C`ship
New Delhi: The Indian weightlifting team, which won a whopping 45 medals in the recently-concluded Commonwealth Championships at Samoa, was on Tuesday felicitated by the Sports Authority of India (SAI).
SAI Director General, Desh Deepak Verma also announced cash rewards for the lifters in the senior category, who bagged nine gold, four silver and two bronze in the meet that took place from June 4-9.
"In recognition to your achievements in Commonwealth Championships, there is a provision of cash awards from Sports Ministry. We will give Rs three lakh to gold medal winners, Rs two lakh to silver medallists and Rs 1.5 lakh to bronze medal winners in the senior category at a separate function," said Verma.
India ended the championships with 29 gold, 10 silver and six bronze medals.
Verma informed the gathering that SAI has spent nearly Rs 2.20 crore (approx) on the last and final junior coaching-cum-competition camp at SAI, Bangalore centre for over three months for preparation of this championship.
"In the senior category, SAI has spent Rs 1.24 crore for making available best of all the facilities," he said.
This is first time that India have won a medal in all the categories -- 15 each in youth, junior and senior. There are eight categories in men`s section and seven in women`s in youth, junior and senior competitions.
The Commonwealth Championship is being held for youth (boys and girls), junior (men and women) and senior (men and women) categories simultaneously.
"This is first time in the history of the Commonwealth Championships that the Indian team won all the possible 45 medals. I would like to congratulate all the lifters and it`s a welcoming sign for the future of Indian weightlifting," Indian Weightlifting Federation secretary general, Sahdev Yadav said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of decision to name Aurangzeb Road after Dr. Abdul Kalam - Part III
- DNA: Analyzing Geeta Press' baseless accusations against Zee News - Part II
- Govt should stop discrimination against Muslims: Hamid Ansari
- DNA: How terrorists are trained by Pakistan Navy with help of ISI
- Indrani can do anything for money: Siddharth Das
- Leaked! Tentative list of 'Bigg Boss 9' revealed and guess who's hosting?
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Exclusive: I am father of Sheena, Mikhail, but never married Indrani Mukerjea, says Siddharth Das
- Bharat bandh: Nation braces for country-wide strike on Wednesday
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukerjea charged with poisoning son Mikhail