Saina, Kashyap shown the door in China
Shanghai: Indians suffered a disappointing day at the China Open Super Series Premier with star shuttler Saina Nehwal and Arundhati Pantawane going down in the women’s singles second round while Parupalli Kashyap lost in the men’s singles competition here on Thursday.
While Saina lost 21-16, 15-21, 17-21 to unseeded Sun Yu of China, Arundhati was defeated 13-21, 10-21 by third seed Wang Yihan, also of China.
Kashyap was defeated 11-21, 12-21 by Kento Momota of Japan.
Saina, who was hoping to win her first trophy of the season, started off well enough coming back from an early 4-1 deficit to dominate the opening game.
But it was a completely different story in the second game as Sun opened up a 3-0 lead and maintained the advantage right till the end to even up the score.
The third and final game was an exciting affair with both players going for broke. Sania put up good a fight, winning three consecutive points to draw level at 8-8 before the Chinese came up with an incredible seven-point streak to lead 15-8.
The Hyderabad girl was in no mood to go down without a fight and produced a seven-point streak of her own to draw level yet again at 15-15. However, Sun had the last laugh, taking four points on the trot to wrap up the match. Sun will now face compatriot and top seed Li Xuerui in the quarter-finals.
Women’s singles: 6-Saina Nehwal lost to Sun Yu (Chn) 21-16, 15-21, 17-21; Arundhati Pantawane lost to Wang Yihan (Chn) 13-21, 10-21.
Men’s singles: Parupalli Kashyap lost to Kento Momota (Jpn) 11-21, 12-21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!