Saina, Kashyap shown the door in China
Shanghai: Indians suffered a disappointing day at the China Open Super Series Premier with star shuttler Saina Nehwal and Arundhati Pantawane going down in the women’s singles second round while Parupalli Kashyap lost in the men’s singles competition here on Thursday.
While Saina lost 21-16, 15-21, 17-21 to unseeded Sun Yu of China, Arundhati was defeated 13-21, 10-21 by third seed Wang Yihan, also of China.
Kashyap was defeated 11-21, 12-21 by Kento Momota of Japan.
Saina, who was hoping to win her first trophy of the season, started off well enough coming back from an early 4-1 deficit to dominate the opening game.
But it was a completely different story in the second game as Sun opened up a 3-0 lead and maintained the advantage right till the end to even up the score.
The third and final game was an exciting affair with both players going for broke. Sania put up good a fight, winning three consecutive points to draw level at 8-8 before the Chinese came up with an incredible seven-point streak to lead 15-8.
The Hyderabad girl was in no mood to go down without a fight and produced a seven-point streak of her own to draw level yet again at 15-15. However, Sun had the last laugh, taking four points on the trot to wrap up the match. Sun will now face compatriot and top seed Li Xuerui in the quarter-finals.
Women’s singles: 6-Saina Nehwal lost to Sun Yu (Chn) 21-16, 15-21, 17-21; Arundhati Pantawane lost to Wang Yihan (Chn) 13-21, 10-21.
Men’s singles: Parupalli Kashyap lost to Kento Momota (Jpn) 11-21, 12-21.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- TERI panel finds RK Pachauri guilty in sexual harassment case
- Rajasthan: High Court raps Chief Secy, DGP for failing to end Gujjar agitation
- Priyanka, Ranveer talk about their film 'Dil Dhadakne Do'
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- Rahul Gandhi takes another dig at NDA govt, says Manmohan gave lessons on economy to PM Modi
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation