Saina Nehwal nominated for BWF Female Player of the Year award
Kuala Lumpur: India`s Saina Nehwal was Wednesday nominated for the Badminton World Federation (BWF) Female Player of the Year award for 2012.
Along with Saina in the reckoning are World No.1 Li Xuerui of China, who copped eight titles in 2012 including the Olympic and year-ending crowns.
Li`s compatriot Wang Yihan, who won the Olympic silver in London, has also been nominated besides the winning Olympic women`s doubles pair of Tian Qing and Zhao Yunlei (China). Should a pair win, they will share the annual award.
The World No.2 Indian, in 2012, won the Indonesia Open Super Series Premier, Denmark Open Super Series Premier, Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold, and the Thailand Open Grand Prix Gold to add to the bronze medal she won at the London Olympics.
Otherwise Chinese shuttlers dominated the nominations of the best badminton players of 2012.
In the list of the Male Player of the Year are two-time Olympic gold medallist Lin Dan of China and his perennial rival Malaysia`s Lee Chong Wei, the current World No.1 and a two-time Olympic silver medallist.
Others in the category are Olympic bronze medallist and winner of the BWF World Super Series Finals Chen Long (China), men`s doubles Olympic gold medallists Cai Yun and Fu Haifeng (China) and Lee Yong Dae and the now retired Jung Jae Sung (South Korea), who won the men`s doubles bronze medal at London Games.
The nominees for the Most Promising Player of the Year are Tai Tzu Ying (Chinese Taipei), Viktor Axelsen (Denmark), Kento Momota (Japan), Nozomi Okuhara (Japan), Ratchanok Intanon (Thailand) and Busnan Ongbumrungpan (Thailand).
The announcement of the winners and the presentation of prizes will take place here May 18 following the BWF Annual General Meeting.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says