Saina Nehwal sold to Hyderabad Hotshots for USD 120,000
New Delhi: India's top shuttler and Olympic bronze medallist Saina Nehwal was sold to Hyderabad Hostshots for a whopping USD 120,000 while World No.1 Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia got the highest bid of USD 135,000 from Mumbai Masters at the inaugural players' auction of the Indian Badminton League (IBL) here Monday.
India's rising stars Parupalli Kashyap and P.V. Sindhu were sold to Banga Beats for USD 75,000 and Lucknow Warriors for USD 80,000. All he four icon players had a base price of USD 50,000.
The remaining two icon players, Jawala Gutta and Ashwini Ponappa, who are women's doubles specialists, were sold below their base price of USD 50,000 to Delhi Smashers and Pune Pistons.
Since there are no women's doubles matches in the IBL, the franchises requested the governing council of the tournament to halve the base price of the two players. Jawala went to Delhi for USD 31,000 and Ashwini was picked up by Pune for her reduced base price of USD 25,000.
IBL officials, however, said that they would compensate the two players. They will pay Jwala USD 19,000 and USD 25,000 to Ashwini.
The USD 1 million IBL will be conducted in six cities August 14-31. The richest badminton league in the world will feature almost all the top-50 players in the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked