Saina reaches finals of Swiss Open
New Delhi: Defending champion Saina Nehwal reached her second consecutive final of the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold with a straight-game victory over Japan`s Minatsu Mitani in the semifinals in Basel, Switzerland.
The Indian ace registered a 21-16, 21-18 triumph over Mitani in 35 minutes to set up a summit clash with second seed Shixian Wang.
The world number three Chinese beat eighth seed Inthanon Ratchanok of Thailand 21-17, 21-15 in another women`s singles match last night.
Saina, who turned 22 yesterday, didn`t allow the Japanese to come close to her as she opened up a 3-0 lead and kept extending it to pocket the first game.
In the second game, Mitani showed some aggression and led 7-3, but Saina caught up with her and then moved ahead to seal the match.
The world number five Saina had beaten sixth seed Xin Liu of China 21-12, 21-13 in the quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Reliance Jio impact: Bharti Airtel Q3 net profit dips 54% to Rs 503.7 crore