Saina, Sindhu knocked out of French Super Series
Paris: Indian shuttlers had a bad day in office at the French Super Series with Saina Nehwal and three others crashing out in the second round of the event here on Thursday.
Saina, seeded fourth, was shocked 22-10 15-21 20-22 by Yeon Ju Bae of Korea in one hour and 11 minutes.
The other Indian female shuttler in the fray, P V Sindhu too failed to clear the second hurdle, losing to less formidable Kirsty Gilmour of Scotland.
World number 11 Sindhu, who stunned world number six Ji Hyun Sung of Korea in straight games in the opening round, lost 21-10 19-21 16-21 to 30th ranked Gilmour in a keenly-contested match that lasted exactly an hour.
The Indian male shuttlers were no better as K Srikanth and Ajay Jayram also bowed out in the second round.
Young Srikanth gave sixth seed Boonsak Ponsana of Thailand a tough time before going down. Srikanth fought valiantly for 58 minutes against the seasoned Ponsana before losing the duel 21-15 18-21 15-21.
Jayram too was shown the door in the second round by top seed Lee Chong Wei of Malaysia.
It was a creditable performance by Jayram against the highly-rated Lee Chong Wei, who has to dug deep to pocket the 21-18 21-18 win and secure his place in the quarterfinals.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jharkhand: 2 dead, several injured in clashes between police, villagers in Ramgarh
- Delhi minister meets Jain monk over Vishal Dadlani tweet controversy
- One killed in annual bull racing in Peru
- 16-year-old Indian-origin boy finds cure for breast cancer treatment
- Heartbreaking! Denied medical help, 12-year-old UP boy dies on dad's shoulder