Saina will look to make a winning start in 2012
New Delhi: India ace shuttler Saina Nehwal will look to start the new year on a resounding note when she begins her campaign at the Korea Super Series, which commences with the qualifiers on Tuesday in Seoul.
Saina reached four finals last year but could clinch just one title -- the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold.
The Hyderabad girl, who finished runners-up at the season-ending World Super Series Finals in China, will start 2012 facing Susan Egelstaff of Scotland.
She is expected to reach at least the quarterfinals even though she has to tread her path carefully if she comes across Sayaka Sato and Ai Goto of Japan, who beat her last year.
The 21-year-old is expected to meet world number one and top seed Yihan Wang of China in the quarterfinals.
The world number four Indian had lost her finals at the World Super Series Finals against the Chinese.
In the men`s singles, Ajay Jayaram will start afresh after stunning a few world class players last year.
The Chennai-born shuttler, who reached the quarterfinals in his maiden World Championship last year, will take on Korean Wan Ho Shon in his tournament opener on Wednesday.
In the qualifiers starting tomorrow, Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold runners-up Sourabh Verma of Madhya Pradesh will be up against Daren Liew of Malaysia.
Anand Pawar will take on Singapore`s Zi Liang Derek Wong, while RMV Gurusaidutt will lock horns against Jen Hao Hsu of Chinese Taipei on Tuesday.
In the women`s doubles competition, world number 14 Indian pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa will face Vivian Kah Mun Hoo and Khe Wei Woon of Malaysia in the first round of the main draw.
Jwala will also combine with V Diju to take on Malaysia`s Peng Soon Chan and Liu Ying Goh in the opening round.
In men`s doubles, veterans Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas will be up against second seeds Jae Sung Jung and Yong Dae Lee of Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh
- DNA: Analysis of doping controversies of Narsingh Yadav and Inderjeet Singh- Part II
- DNA: Analysis of Indian boat patrols on Ladakh's Pangong Tso Lake
- DNA : Today in History, 26th July, 2016
- No trace of IAF's AN-32 aircraft and survivors
- Male hormones can turn back cell aging!
- DCW chief booked for naming Dalit rape victim, says not scared
- Delhi: Raped by 30-yr-old man, 4-yr-old girl undergoes surgery
- Strong need of creating awareness on organ donation: Experts
- Narendra Modi's silence on Dalit assault devaluation of PM's post: Congress