Saina will look to make a winning start in 2012
New Delhi: India ace shuttler Saina Nehwal will look to start the new year on a resounding note when she begins her campaign at the Korea Super Series, which commences with the qualifiers on Tuesday in Seoul.
Saina reached four finals last year but could clinch just one title -- the Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold.
The Hyderabad girl, who finished runners-up at the season-ending World Super Series Finals in China, will start 2012 facing Susan Egelstaff of Scotland.
She is expected to reach at least the quarterfinals even though she has to tread her path carefully if she comes across Sayaka Sato and Ai Goto of Japan, who beat her last year.
The 21-year-old is expected to meet world number one and top seed Yihan Wang of China in the quarterfinals.
The world number four Indian had lost her finals at the World Super Series Finals against the Chinese.
In the men`s singles, Ajay Jayaram will start afresh after stunning a few world class players last year.
The Chennai-born shuttler, who reached the quarterfinals in his maiden World Championship last year, will take on Korean Wan Ho Shon in his tournament opener on Wednesday.
In the qualifiers starting tomorrow, Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold runners-up Sourabh Verma of Madhya Pradesh will be up against Daren Liew of Malaysia.
Anand Pawar will take on Singapore`s Zi Liang Derek Wong, while RMV Gurusaidutt will lock horns against Jen Hao Hsu of Chinese Taipei on Tuesday.
In the women`s doubles competition, world number 14 Indian pair of Jwala Gutta and Ashwini Ponnappa will face Vivian Kah Mun Hoo and Khe Wei Woon of Malaysia in the first round of the main draw.
Jwala will also combine with V Diju to take on Malaysia`s Peng Soon Chan and Liu Ying Goh in the opening round.
In men`s doubles, veterans Rupesh Kumar and Sanave Thomas will be up against second seeds Jae Sung Jung and Yong Dae Lee of Korea.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads - Part II
- DNA: Analysing problem of traffic jams choking Delhi roads
- Panel discussion over rights of Muslim women
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train - Part II
- DNA: How passengers risk their lives while travelling by train
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...