Sandeep Tulsi Yadav earns a shot at bronze medal
Budapest: Indian Greco-Roman grappler Sandeep Tulsi Yadav produced a spirited performance on the final day of the World Wrestling Championships and reached the repechage finals of the 66kg category, here on Sunday.
The lone bright spot for the Indians on the day, Yadav claimed Sharur Vardanyan of Sweden 6-4 in his repechage encounter to earn a shot at a bronze medal match against Serbia Aleksandar Maksimovic at the Papp Laszlo Sports Arena later on Sunday.
This after Yadav`s inspiring run was halted in quarterfinals by Han-Su Ryu of South Korea, who comprehensively beat the Indian 10-0 and eventually sailed into the finals.
Yadav, who got bye in the first round, got the better of Ismael Sanchez of Spain 5-0 and then accounted for Moldova`s Mihail Cosniceanu 6-2, riding over their opponents on higher technical superiority.
But Yadav could not repeat his performance and was tamed by the Korean in the last-eight stage.
Earlier, Rajbir Chhikara (74kg) and Naveen (120kg) lost their opening bouts to exit the competition.
While Chhikara lost to Finland`s Veli-Karri Souminen 0-5, Naveen could not resist the challenge from Riza Kayaalp of Turkey and was beaten 0-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks