Sandeep Tulsi Yadav earns a shot at bronze medal
Budapest: Indian Greco-Roman grappler Sandeep Tulsi Yadav produced a spirited performance on the final day of the World Wrestling Championships and reached the repechage finals of the 66kg category, here on Sunday.
The lone bright spot for the Indians on the day, Yadav claimed Sharur Vardanyan of Sweden 6-4 in his repechage encounter to earn a shot at a bronze medal match against Serbia Aleksandar Maksimovic at the Papp Laszlo Sports Arena later on Sunday.
This after Yadav`s inspiring run was halted in quarterfinals by Han-Su Ryu of South Korea, who comprehensively beat the Indian 10-0 and eventually sailed into the finals.
Yadav, who got bye in the first round, got the better of Ismael Sanchez of Spain 5-0 and then accounted for Moldova`s Mihail Cosniceanu 6-2, riding over their opponents on higher technical superiority.
But Yadav could not repeat his performance and was tamed by the Korean in the last-eight stage.
Earlier, Rajbir Chhikara (74kg) and Naveen (120kg) lost their opening bouts to exit the competition.
While Chhikara lost to Finland`s Veli-Karri Souminen 0-5, Naveen could not resist the challenge from Riza Kayaalp of Turkey and was beaten 0-4.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Watch: Tracing the journey of Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest
- Jayalalithaa's health condition: AIADMK member from Cuddalore dies after seeing news about Tamil Nadu CM's cardiac arrest