South Africa qualify for Olympics
Kakamigahara (Japan): South Africa grabbed the last ticket to the London Olympics men`s hockey when they defeated hosts Japan 2-1 in the final qualifying tournament on Sunday.
It will be South Africa`s third straight appearance in the Olympics and fourth overall after finishing in 10th place in 2004 and 12th in 2008.
Thornton McDade put South Africa one up when he slipped behind Japanese goalkeeper Shunsuke Nagaoka to score in the 44th minute and Lloyd Norris-Jones added another in the 54th.
Japan, seeking to win a berth at the Olympics for the first time in 44 years, pulled one back in the 64th minute through Kenji Kitazato, but it was too late to overcome the deficit.
South Africa join Argentina, Australia, Belgium, hosts Britain, Germany, India, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea and Spain at the Olympics. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Five unmanned parachutes spotted over Mumbai airport
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- Pakistan criticizes Defence Minister Parrikar's terrorism remarks