South Africa qualify for Olympics
Kakamigahara (Japan): South Africa grabbed the last ticket to the London Olympics men`s hockey when they defeated hosts Japan 2-1 in the final qualifying tournament on Sunday.
It will be South Africa`s third straight appearance in the Olympics and fourth overall after finishing in 10th place in 2004 and 12th in 2008.
Thornton McDade put South Africa one up when he slipped behind Japanese goalkeeper Shunsuke Nagaoka to score in the 44th minute and Lloyd Norris-Jones added another in the 54th.
Japan, seeking to win a berth at the Olympics for the first time in 44 years, pulled one back in the 64th minute through Kenji Kitazato, but it was too late to overcome the deficit.
South Africa join Argentina, Australia, Belgium, hosts Britain, Germany, India, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Pakistan, South Korea and Spain at the Olympics. (AFP)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued