South Koren star outfielder Choo joins Rangers
Arlington: South Korean outfielder Choo Shin-Soo, among the most prized free agents this year, has signed a seven-year contract worth $130 million with Major League Baseball`s Texas Rangers, the club announced Friday.
The 31-year-old Asian star signed the largest free agent deal in Rangers history, surpassed only by the team`s 10-year deal worth $252 million to Alex Rodriguez in December of 2000.
Choo`s average annual salary of $18.5 million ranks eighth among all major league outfielders. He will be paid $14 million for two years, $21 million for the two years after that and $20 million in each of the deal`s last three years.
Choo has averaged .288 over nine North American seasons with Seattle, Cleveland and Cincinnati with 104 home runs and 427 runs batted in.
Last season for the Cincinnati Reds, Choo was the leadoff hitter and batted .285 with 21 homers, 54 runs batted in and 20 stolen bases as well being among the top five players in the league with 107 runs scored and a career-best .423 on-base percentage.
The Reds offered him only a one-year deal worth $14.1 million, which he rejected in favor of free agency.
Instead, Choo inked the third-best free agent deal of the off-season, trailing only second baseman Robinson Cano`s 10-year contract for $240 million with Seattle and the seven-year deal for $153 million that the New York Yankees gave outfielder Jacoby Ellsbury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price