Stephanie Rice to attempt comeback for 2014 Commonwealth Games
Melbourne: Triple Olympic champion swimmer Stephanie Rice has confirmed that she will attempt a comeback to the sport for the 2014 Commonwealth Games.
Rice has swum just four times since the London Olympics, opting to take a year away from competition as she recovered from shoulder surgery and to consider her future in the sport.
Stating that it was always her intention to return back to the sport and try to qualify for the Glasgow Commonwealth Games, Rice said that she has been considering the Commonwealth Games for a long time.
According to the swimming ace, she had stayed away from the sport as she wanted to make sure that she is taking a clear decision on swimming and her future following the mental stress that she had suffered at London, her injuries and the subsequent rehabilitation .
However, Rice said that she will make her final decision by the end of this year after undergoing a few months of actual training before that to get herself in the right frame, adding that she has been cross-training, running and working out in the gym to stay fit.
According to the report, Rice`s troublesome shoulder will be the ultimate indicator of whether she becomes a full-time swimmer again, adding that she will resume full pool training by November and only once she is back in that day-to-day grind and 60km weeks will she know if she can handle another campaign.
Rice said that she may return to work under her previous coach Michael Bohl, although she has ruled out ever competing in the 400m medley for which she won gold in the Beijing Olympics, adding that she wants to focus on shorter events such as the 100m butterfly and 100m freestyle, as well as the 200m medley.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- Indian Army avenges Uri with surgical strikes across LoC, heavy casualties
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- US NSA Susan Rice calls Ajit Doval, says 'expect Pakistan to take action against terror’
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says