Sterling doubts players would strike: report
Los Angeles: Donald Sterling, the embattled Los Angeles Clippers owner banned for life by the NBA for racist remarks, says he doubts players would strike if he still owns the team next season.
In portions of an interview with CNN released on the television network`s website Wednesday, the 80-year-old real estate tycoon said salaries would be more important that spiting him.
"That`s talk. The media pushes that," Sterling told CNN`s Anderson Cooper. "Why would they do that? If they get their salaries, they are going to play."
LeBron James, the Miami Heat superstar who has led his club to the past two NBA crowns, told CNN that players are pleased with the actions of NBA commissioner Adam Silver to ban and fine Sterling and they understand the process of removing Sterling as an owner will take time.
"The direction Adam is going and the NBA is going, there should be a need for (a strike)," James said. "We trust those guys and we know they are going to take care of what needs to be done for our league and we understand that it`s not going to be done tomorrow."
There had been talk of a walkout during the playoffs in the days after Sterling`s comments first surfaced but that tension eased when Silver banished Sterling for life.
Sterling`s troubles began late last month when recording of him making racist comments were posted online by TMZ, Sterling saying he did not want his girlfriend bringing black people to Clippers games or posting photos of herself with black people on social media websites.
Sterling has later claimed he was trying to seduce the much-younger woman, known only as V. Stiviano, to whom he had already given money and expensive gifts.
The remarks prompted a firestorm of controversy and Clippers players turned their jerseys inside out during a pre-game playoff warmup to protest Sterling before Silver issued his life ban and began the process of having owners remove the team from Sterling`s control, hoping to push Sterling to sell the club, something he has said he will not do.
While a firm timetable is not yet set, Silver said Monday the league`s board of governors "is continuing with its process to remove Mr. Sterling as expeditiously as possible."
Sterling apologized in a portion of the CNN interview aired earlier but in doing so insulted NBA legend Magic Johnson, prompting Silver to issue an apology to Johnson from the NBA for Sterling`s latest comments.
In comments released Wednesday, Sterling asks, "What am I, a Frankenstein? What am I, some kind of ogre?
"I`m a good person. I`m a warm person. I say hello to everybody who comes to the team."
The Clippers trail Oklahoma City three games to two in their best-of-second Western Conference second round playoff series with game six on Thursday at Los Angeles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt