Sushil Kumar to skip Dave Schultz tournament
New Delhi: Olympic silver medallist Sushil Kumar will have to wait for some more time to get back to action as the unhealed neck injury has forced him to opt out of the upcoming Dave Schultz tournament, where he was expected to defend his title.
A 33-member Indian contingent had left for a training camp in the United States on last week to prepare for the event, beginning January 31.
The Wrestling Federation of India (WFI) at that point had said that the Sushil would fly a week later due to some personal reasons.
However, the star grappler today confirmed that he would not be able to make it as the injury, he sustained during the London Olympics, is yet to heal completely.
"I will not be able to participate in the Dave Schultz Cup due to an injury on my neck and right hand. I have been advised rest by my coaches. Also, it is not such a big tournament. I had informed the federation about my decision a couple of days back," Sushil, who had bagged a gold medal in the 66-kg category of the tournament last year, said.
"I am nursing this (neck) injury for a long time now. It hasn`t healed completely. Also, there is some trouble on my right hand. I am currently undergoing physiotherapy," the 29-year-old grappler said.
Sushil has not featured in any competition post Olympics due to the neck injury.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video