TN to host World Chess Championships in November
Chennai: Tamil Nadu will host the World Chess Championship here from November 6 to 26, Chief Minister Jayalalithaa announced in the state assembly on Monday.
The government would release Rs 29 crore to conduct the championship, being held for the first time in India, she said while making a suo moto statement on the floor of the assembly.
Last year, the government wanted to host the event, but Russia won it its bid and staged the event, she said.
Jayalalithaa recalled that World Chess Federation President Kirsan Illyumzhinov had met her in 2011 with the proposal to hold the event in Chennai.
This year, the Federation allotted the event to Tamil Nadu without going through the bidding process, she said.
Five time world chess champion Vishwanathan Anand and Norway`s Magnus Carlsen, ranked number one are among the top players who would be participating in the championship.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Is there no respect for Congress in UP politics?
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened
- Yuvraj Singh's wife Hazel Keech suggests new middle name for hubby Yuvi following Cuttack heroics
- Bigots at it again! Mohammed Shami called un-Islamic for posting picture with dog