Top Rio Games official Marcio Fortes quits
Rio de Janeiro: The Brazilian government has confirmed the resignation of one of the top officials of the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games.
Olympic Public Authority (APO) president Marcio Fortes was officially relieved of his duties Thursday after submitting his resignation earlier in the week, according to a notice published by federal gazette Diario Oficial da Uniao, reports Xinhua.
APO is in charge of coordinating federal, state and local government planning for the Games.
Brazilian media reported Fortes had become disillusioned by his reduced influence prompted by the federal government`s creation of the executive Olympic group (Geolimpiada) - to which APO had become a subordinate.
Fortes, who did not comment on his decision, had previously been a minister in the government of former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I am still single, says Hrithik Roshan
- Former Pakistani spinner Arshad Khan now a taxi driver in Sydney!
- SC intervenes into Khap panchayat's rape order of two UP sisters, seeks report from Akhilesh govt
- Furkan, not Tiger Memon, arrested in Pakistan
- Sheena Bora murder case: Peter Mukerjea's statement recorded, police search his Worli residence