Top Rio Games official Marcio Fortes quits
Rio de Janeiro: The Brazilian government has confirmed the resignation of one of the top officials of the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games.
Olympic Public Authority (APO) president Marcio Fortes was officially relieved of his duties Thursday after submitting his resignation earlier in the week, according to a notice published by federal gazette Diario Oficial da Uniao, reports Xinhua.
APO is in charge of coordinating federal, state and local government planning for the Games.
Brazilian media reported Fortes had become disillusioned by his reduced influence prompted by the federal government`s creation of the executive Olympic group (Geolimpiada) - to which APO had become a subordinate.
Fortes, who did not comment on his decision, had previously been a minister in the government of former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you