Top Rio Games official Marcio Fortes quits
Rio de Janeiro: The Brazilian government has confirmed the resignation of one of the top officials of the 2016 Rio de Janeiro Olympic Games.
Olympic Public Authority (APO) president Marcio Fortes was officially relieved of his duties Thursday after submitting his resignation earlier in the week, according to a notice published by federal gazette Diario Oficial da Uniao, reports Xinhua.
APO is in charge of coordinating federal, state and local government planning for the Games.
Brazilian media reported Fortes had become disillusioned by his reduced influence prompted by the federal government`s creation of the executive Olympic group (Geolimpiada) - to which APO had become a subordinate.
Fortes, who did not comment on his decision, had previously been a minister in the government of former president Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city