Top runners for Indian Open Marathon
New Delhi: India`s top distance runners are all set to take part in the 23rd edition of the Indian Open Marathon, which will also serve as one of the qualification races for the selection of athletes for the London Olympics Marathon.
The event is scheduled to be held here on February 19 and will take place under the aegis of the Athletic Federation of India (AFI).
The marathon, which was first held in 1982, is the longest running marathon in the capital and one of the oldest in the country.
Open only to the Indian nationals, the marathon winners in both the men`s and women`s categories will get equal prize money.
"This is part of our policy and commitment to provide equal opportunity and empowerment to women sportspersons," said Siddharth Shriram, Chairman, Mawana Sugars Limited.
"We have supported women`s golf at the amateur level and we wish to ensure that we provide more opportunities to women sportspersons, too," he added.
The winners in men`s and women`s sections will receive Rs 2.5 lakhs each and there will be cash prizes way down in the finishing order. A total of nearly Rs 15 lakhs will be given away in prizes.
The last date for the entries is February 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- NDRF says ‘fire out in 70% of affected areas’, Centre sends team to probe Uttarakhand forest fires
- Major shift in Modi govt’s stand on Hurriyat leaders as VK Singh says ‘they are citizens of India’?
- Kangana Ranaut – Hrithik Roshan legal spat: Sona Mohapatra slams Adhyayan Suman - Here's why
- Kangana Ranaut's deposition after lot of delay, drama, says Hrithik Roshan's legal team
- WATCH: Ugly spat between Harbhajan Singh, Ambati Rayudu during Mumbai Indians vs Rising Pune Supergiants match