Top runners for Indian Open Marathon
New Delhi: India`s top distance runners are all set to take part in the 23rd edition of the Indian Open Marathon, which will also serve as one of the qualification races for the selection of athletes for the London Olympics Marathon.
The event is scheduled to be held here on February 19 and will take place under the aegis of the Athletic Federation of India (AFI).
The marathon, which was first held in 1982, is the longest running marathon in the capital and one of the oldest in the country.
Open only to the Indian nationals, the marathon winners in both the men`s and women`s categories will get equal prize money.
"This is part of our policy and commitment to provide equal opportunity and empowerment to women sportspersons," said Siddharth Shriram, Chairman, Mawana Sugars Limited.
"We have supported women`s golf at the amateur level and we wish to ensure that we provide more opportunities to women sportspersons, too," he added.
The winners in men`s and women`s sections will receive Rs 2.5 lakhs each and there will be cash prizes way down in the finishing order. A total of nearly Rs 15 lakhs will be given away in prizes.
The last date for the entries is February 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- RIP Amma: When Jayalalithaa sang one of her favourite songs, that too in Hindi - WATCH