Top runners for Indian Open Marathon
New Delhi: India`s top distance runners are all set to take part in the 23rd edition of the Indian Open Marathon, which will also serve as one of the qualification races for the selection of athletes for the London Olympics Marathon.
The event is scheduled to be held here on February 19 and will take place under the aegis of the Athletic Federation of India (AFI).
The marathon, which was first held in 1982, is the longest running marathon in the capital and one of the oldest in the country.
Open only to the Indian nationals, the marathon winners in both the men`s and women`s categories will get equal prize money.
"This is part of our policy and commitment to provide equal opportunity and empowerment to women sportspersons," said Siddharth Shriram, Chairman, Mawana Sugars Limited.
"We have supported women`s golf at the amateur level and we wish to ensure that we provide more opportunities to women sportspersons, too," he added.
The winners in men`s and women`s sections will receive Rs 2.5 lakhs each and there will be cash prizes way down in the finishing order. A total of nearly Rs 15 lakhs will be given away in prizes.
The last date for the entries is February 13.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Azam Khan demands ban on cow slaughter across India, says Muslims should stop eating beef
- Asaduddin Owaisi asks Centre to clarify policy on buffalo meat export, Nirmala Sitharaman gives apt reply
- No ban on cow slaughter in three Northeast states if party comes to power next year: BJP