Tour de France: Police questions Schleck as he fails dope test
Pau (France): Luxembourg cyclist Frank Schleck pulled out of the Tour de France after failing a doping test.
He voluntarily went to a police station after testing positive to a banned substance here.
Cycling’s governing body said Schleck had tested positive for a banned diuretic, another reminder of the doping cloud that has damaged the image of cycling — and its biggest event.
RadioShack spokesman Philippe Maertens said the International Cycling Union (UCI) announced Schleck’s positive test for the banned diuretic Xipamide earlier.
The RadioShack team said it had decided to withdraw the Luxembourg rider from the race, and said that the diuretic is not present in any medicine used by the team.
RadioShack said in a statement: “The reason for the presence of Xipamide in the urine sample of Mr Schleck is unclear to the team. Therefore, the team is not able to explain the adverse findings at this point.”
Governing body UCI said Xipamide turned up in the test conducted by the French anti-doping lab in Chatenay-Malabry, south of Paris, on a sample from Schleck taken on July 14.
RadioShack will continue to compete in the race.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part II
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part III
- Panel discussion over Lalu Yadav's insensitive attitude over flood situations in Bihar Part IV
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- ''No Indian hand in Nepal government change''
- Daddy's little girl Priyanka Chopra remembers father on his third birth anniversary! See pic
- Court hears horror of Khmer Rouge forced marriages
- PE inflows in real estate up 33% at Rs 5,193 crore in January-June
- WATCH: Chandrababu Naidu plays badminton with PV Sindhu on stage during felicitation ceremony