Upsets galore on second day of national athletics meet
Hyderabad: Sunday was a day of upsets in the National Inter-State Senior Athletics Championships as some of the defending champions in their respective events such as P Udayalakshmi, S K Mortaja and Sajeesh Joseph suffered reverses.
The day was also marred by Dharambir Singh`s suspension for evading dope test. The Haryana athlete, who won the men`s 100m event yesterday, was provisionally suspended by the AFI.
In the women`s shot put event, Udayalakshmi from the host state went down to Punjab`s Patwant Kaur who tossed the iron ball to 13.76m. Udayalakshmi managed 13.35m for the silver while Bengal`s Suparna Ghosh ended with the bronze after an effort of 13.31m.
Other defending champions who lost their gold status included Mortaja in 400m, Joseph in 800m and Ramachandran in steeplechase among men.
The women`s 800m event between Tintu Luka of Kerala and Sinimole Paulose, who represented Karnataka this time, went down to the wire before Tintu successfully defended her title in 2:01.36.
Sinimole timed 2:03.71 for the silver while another Keralite, S R Bindu, finished third in 2:09.53.
In the men`s 800m event, veteran Ghamanda Ram of Rajasthan won the gold in 1:47.57, while Jinson Johnson from Chattisgarh was a close second in 1:47.80. Sajeesh bagged the bronze medal after timing 1:48.85.
But the biggest surprise of the day came in men`s 3000m steeplechase when Manipur`s Th. Sanjit Luwang inflicted a rare defeat on defending champion and pre-race favourite Ramachandran.
The northeastern athlete sprinted her way to a gold-medal finish after timing 8:47.09, just ahead of Ramachandran`s 8:47.58.
In the decathlon competition, K Dileep Kumar of Marharashtra triumphed as the Army Sports Institute athlete garnered 6676 points as against his nearest rival Chandrahas Kushwaha of Uttar Pradesh who finished second.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Amethi: Rahul Gandhi faces protests from angry villagers
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'