Usain Bolt gets AIPS Award
Moscow: Usain Bolt was presented with the 2012 International Association for Sports Journalists (AIPS) Male Athlete of the Year award for his outstanding performance at the Olympic Games in London last year.
The Jamaican sprinter received the award Saturday shortly after he won his third straight men’s 200 metres title at the 14th IAAF World Championships in Athletics at the Luzhniki Stadium, reports CMC.
The award from the AIPS America was presented by Trinidad Express sports journalist Kwame Laurence on behalf of the continental section of AIPS and witnessed by other Caribbean journalists.
Bolt and Colombian female cyclist Mariana Pajon were named the top sports personalities in Latin American and the Caribbean in 2012.
Pajon received her award at a ceremony in Medellin, Colombia earlier this year but Bolt was unable to attend.
In accepting the award from AIPS America, Bolt said: “Yeah man. Appreciate it. Thanks.
“Through what I’ve been through with journalists over the years -- I’ve been through some good, some bad stuff -- it’s always good to be recognised by them, because I know” he quipped, “that they’re not as bad as I thought they were.”
Bolt won the 200m in a world leading 19.66, ahead of teammate Warren Weir (19.79) and American Curtis Mitchell (20.04).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C
- Euro 2016: Spain veteran Iker Casillas hints at retirement after team's defeat against Italy
- Jailed ex-MP Shahabuddin shifted to AIIMS
- Facebook to give more prominence to family and friends, not media