Usain Bolt to play in NBA All Star celebrity match
Houston: Sprint sensation Usain Bolt says he is looking forward to making his debut in the NBA All-Star Celebrity match in Houston Friday.
Bolt will join a list of celebrities for the NBA event, a much-anticipated part of the all-star weekend of activities.
The Jamaican sprinter will be lining up alongside the likes of comedian Kevin Hart, singer Ne-Yo, rapper Common, actor Nick Cannon and former NBA great Dikembe Mutombo.
"It`s something big and something fun for me," declared Bolt, who gave up early basketball ambitions for his pet sport track and field.
"So I`m just looking forward to going out there and having fun and try to dunk a few times."
Bolt, the only man to win back-to-back Olympic sprint doubles after successes at the Beijing 2008 and London 2012 Games, is an NBA fan and supports the Boston Celtics, whom he spent some time with in 2008.
The All-Star Celebrity teams will be coached by James Harden of the Houston Rockets and his former teammate Russell Westbrook, who plays for the 2012 Western Conference champions and NBA finalists, Oklahoma City Thunder.
"I`m not a good shooter but, hey, I used to be a good player," said Bolt who last week completed his first competitive race of the season - a 400m at the Camperdown Classic at the National Stadium.
"I can`t say I`m any good right now, because I`ve stopped playing basketball and started playing football, so I`m really rusty, but I`m sure I can dunk."
Bolt is set to become the biggest track-and-field star to play basketball in prime time.
American track-and-field star Carl Lewis was drafted by the Chicago Bulls in 1984, but never stepped foot on the court, as he was never signed by the team.
"I can`t go there thinking about that," said Bolt in response to questions about the possibility of being injured.
"It`s just fun, so it won`t be anything aggressive. It`s just guys who are just playing for fun."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city