Veronica Campbell-Brown denies knowingly taking drug
Montego Bay (Jamaica): Olympic and World Champion Veronica Campbell-Brown has denied knowingly taking a banned substance Lasix, which also goes by the name Furosemide.
Brown’s first public reaction came in the form of a statement released by her On Track Management (OTM) group following reports that she has tested positive for the banned drug.
The OTM statement says Brown is determined to clear her name and included a public apology to her family, supporters and sponsors for "any embarrassment".
“Her faith which rests not in device or creed will see her through this dark period,” said the OTM on Tuesday.
“Due to her determination to vigorously pursue the clearing of her name, she will desist from being vocal, suffice it to say, while not accepting guilt of willfully taking a banned substance, she wholeheartedly apologizes to her family, Jamaica, her sponsors, the governing body, the world athletics family, her supporters, as well as those she worked with in various non-athletic causes for any embarrassment and/or hurt this devastating news has caused."
OTM’s release follows a statement from the Jamaica Athletics Administration Association (JAAA) on Tuesday afternoon confirming that the Jamaican sprinter was suspended from competition pending the findings of a disciplinary panel that will hear her case.
“We also wish to point out that Mrs. Veronica Campbell-Brown voluntarily withdrew herself from competition and accepted the provisional suspension,” the JAAA release said.
The JAAA added that the matter is being handled according to IAAF rules and further statements will be made at the outcome of the case.
Brown is expected to miss the 14th IAAF World Championship in Moscow in August.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Zaira Wasim Trolled: Ashamed that she had to apologise, says Gautam Gambhir