Veteran ABC commentator suspended by national broadcaster management over racist jibe
Sydney: Veteran Rugby League caller and the voice of Rugby League for ABC Radio David Morrow has been suspended by the national broadcaster management over his racist comments on Darwin Aborigines, pending a probe into the alleged racist remarks.
Not realizing he was on air, Morrow had joked with Shannon Byrne who hails from Darwin about electricity not yet available in the Northern territory capital.
An ABC spokesperson has said that Morrow has been suspended from all his duties as the ABC commentator and his expertise on coverage of rugby league both on TV and Radio since 1980 will not prevent him from undergoing an investigation for his racist comments.
According to the report, the longest-serving indigenous broadcaster at the ABC, Darwin-based Charlie King , took the comments as offensive, which ABC Grandstand manager Craig Norenbergs believes to be disappointing.
Norenbergs added that ABC`s managerial values and his personal viewpoint do not favour racism in any form, even though it comes from a credential broadcaster such as Morrow who has had a 40 year career span at the news station.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister