Vijender Singh back from leave, to participate in trials tomorrow
New Delhi: Brushing aside speculations about his availability for the upcoming World Championship trials, star Indian boxer Vijender Singh on Monday returned to Patiala from a short leave and would be taking the ring on Tuesday to fight it out for a place in the team.
"I had taken a short leave and my coaches and seniors knew of it. I had informed all the concerned authorities before leaving. There were some personal issues that I had to attend to and I am back in Patiala now," Vijender said.
"I don`t understand how this speculation started but I would certainly be giving the trials tomorrow and hopefully manage a place in the side," quipped the former world number one in middleweight (75kg) category.
The former Olympic and World Championship bronze-medal winner`s return to the ring is being closely watched after the sabbatical he was forced into due to a drug scandal earlier this year.
So much so that the leave he took last week led to speculation over whether he would fight it out on Tuesday or not.
"I know of the speculation in the past few days, good to know that I still generate a lot of interest even after laying low for quite some time," laughed the 27-year-old.
But the weight category in which Vijender will compete remains a mystery as the boxer refused to divulge whether it would be 75kg or a division above at 81kg for the three-day trails starting Tuesday.
"I have made up my mind on that but I don`t want to say anything about it right now. When I take the ring tomorrow, everyone will know," said Vijender.
Vijender was the first Indian boxer to grab a World Championships medal when he brought home a bronze from the 2009 edition in Milan.
The upcoming edition of the World Championships is scheduled to be held at Almaty, Kazakhstan from October 11 to 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read