Vijender Singh back from leave, to participate in trials tomorrow
New Delhi: Brushing aside speculations about his availability for the upcoming World Championship trials, star Indian boxer Vijender Singh on Monday returned to Patiala from a short leave and would be taking the ring on Tuesday to fight it out for a place in the team.
"I had taken a short leave and my coaches and seniors knew of it. I had informed all the concerned authorities before leaving. There were some personal issues that I had to attend to and I am back in Patiala now," Vijender said.
"I don`t understand how this speculation started but I would certainly be giving the trials tomorrow and hopefully manage a place in the side," quipped the former world number one in middleweight (75kg) category.
The former Olympic and World Championship bronze-medal winner`s return to the ring is being closely watched after the sabbatical he was forced into due to a drug scandal earlier this year.
So much so that the leave he took last week led to speculation over whether he would fight it out on Tuesday or not.
"I know of the speculation in the past few days, good to know that I still generate a lot of interest even after laying low for quite some time," laughed the 27-year-old.
But the weight category in which Vijender will compete remains a mystery as the boxer refused to divulge whether it would be 75kg or a division above at 81kg for the three-day trails starting Tuesday.
"I have made up my mind on that but I don`t want to say anything about it right now. When I take the ring tomorrow, everyone will know," said Vijender.
Vijender was the first Indian boxer to grab a World Championships medal when he brought home a bronze from the 2009 edition in Milan.
The upcoming edition of the World Championships is scheduled to be held at Almaty, Kazakhstan from October 11 to 27.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor