Warriors fire coach after first-round playoff exit
Oakland, USA: Mark Jackson was fired Tuesday as coach of the Golden State Warriors, three days after the team was ousted by the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round of the NBA playoffs.
Jackson spent three seasons as coach of the Warriors, guiding them to a 51-31 record this season and a combined 121-109 mark during his time at Golden State, which began in 2011.
"We`re appreciative of his dedication and commitment since his arrival and are extremely grateful for his contributions. However, as an organization, we simply feel it`s best to move in a different direction at this time," Warriors general manager Bob Myers said.
"It`s never easy to make a decision of this nature. Mark has accomplished many good things during his three years with the organization, including his role in helping elevate this team into a better position than it was when he arrived nearly 36 months ago."
The Warriors were one game from advancing to the second round of this year`s playoffs before falling 126-121 to lose their Western Conference series in the maximum seven games.
Jackson won 47 games in the 2012-2013 season and 51 this past season, a win total not matched by the Warriors in back-to-back seasons since 1991 and 1992 -- also the last time Golden State had reached the playoffs in consecutive seasons.
"Mark Jackson has had a big impact on the improvement of our team and the success that we have had over the last couple of years," said Warriors owner Joe Lacob.
"Nonetheless, we must make some difficult decisions in our day-to-day operations of the club and this would certainly qualify as one of those examples."
Jackson, 49, joined Don Nelson and Al Attles as the only Warriors coaches to win 50 games in a season and his 121 wins rank fourth on Golden State`s all-time list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- DNA: Zee Media's campaign to celebrate Diwali with soldier's family
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon