Warriors fire coach after first-round playoff exit
Oakland, USA: Mark Jackson was fired Tuesday as coach of the Golden State Warriors, three days after the team was ousted by the Los Angeles Clippers in the first round of the NBA playoffs.
Jackson spent three seasons as coach of the Warriors, guiding them to a 51-31 record this season and a combined 121-109 mark during his time at Golden State, which began in 2011.
"We`re appreciative of his dedication and commitment since his arrival and are extremely grateful for his contributions. However, as an organization, we simply feel it`s best to move in a different direction at this time," Warriors general manager Bob Myers said.
"It`s never easy to make a decision of this nature. Mark has accomplished many good things during his three years with the organization, including his role in helping elevate this team into a better position than it was when he arrived nearly 36 months ago."
The Warriors were one game from advancing to the second round of this year`s playoffs before falling 126-121 to lose their Western Conference series in the maximum seven games.
Jackson won 47 games in the 2012-2013 season and 51 this past season, a win total not matched by the Warriors in back-to-back seasons since 1991 and 1992 -- also the last time Golden State had reached the playoffs in consecutive seasons.
"Mark Jackson has had a big impact on the improvement of our team and the success that we have had over the last couple of years," said Warriors owner Joe Lacob.
"Nonetheless, we must make some difficult decisions in our day-to-day operations of the club and this would certainly qualify as one of those examples."
Jackson, 49, joined Don Nelson and Al Attles as the only Warriors coaches to win 50 games in a season and his 121 wins rank fourth on Golden State`s all-time list.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside
- Saif Ali Khan finds Kareena Kapoor very sexy in 'Yeh Mera Dil' song
- Donald Trump demands special prosecutor to probe Hillary Clinton allegations
- Assam BJP leader's son kidnapped, ULFA releases ISIS-style video