We want to revive hockey to its past glory, says new IHF prez
Hyderabad: Observing that hockey need not lag so much behind cricket in terms of popularity in the country, the new President of Indian Hockey Federation (IHF), V Dinesh Reddy said he would make every effort to bring back the past glory to the sport.
"We want to galvanise the hockey back to its past glory. Hockey is a national game. Of course cricket will continue to be number one, but it (hockey) should not be lagging behind as much as it is happening now. We want to revive it to its past glory," Reddy told PTI here.
Asked to elaborate on his plans for reviving the popularity of hockey in the cricket-crazy country, Reddy said young talents should be spotted in schools itself and groomed for the big stage.
"We are looking to catch the young talent in the schools itself, give them coaching and make it attractive for the players to come and play for the national hockey.
"We are also looking forward to revive competitions like Premier League Hockey and World Series Hockey," he added.
On the ongoing tussle between IHF and Hockey India (HI), Reddy, who is also the Andhra Pradesh Director General of Police (DGP), said he hoped to clear the matters during the Indian Olympic Association meeting to be held later this month.
"There are some issues, the matter is sub-judice. There are still some litigations between HI and IHF.
"This 25th there is a meeting of the Indian Olympic Association (IOA), which I will be attending along with two other members. We hope to sort out certain issues," he said.
He replied in the affirmative when asked if he would be in favour of a patch-up between the HI and the IHF.
"I think we should bring all of them on the same pedestal under the IHF umbrella," Reddy said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark