Women team departs for junior world cup hockey
New Delhi: An 18-member junior Indian women team, lead by defender Sushila Chanu, on Monday departed to participate in the FIH Hockey World Cup to be held in Monchengladbach, Germany from July 27 to August 4.
India are placed in Pool-C with New Zealand, Australia and Russia.
The junior women will kickstart their campaign against Australia on July 27 followed by New Zealand (July 28) and Russia (July 30).
All the matches will be played at Warsteiner Hockey Park in Monchengaladbach.
The Indian team will be playing four warm-up games ahead of their World Cup campaign. The first warm-up game will be against Belgium (July 17) followed by Netherlands (July 19), South Africa (July 21) and Argentina (July 24).
Before heading for the competition, Indian team had a two-month long preparatory camp at NIS, Patiala.
Goalkeepers: Sanarik Chanu, Bigan Soy
Defenders: Pinky Devi, Deep Grace Ekka, Namita Toppo, Manjit Kaur, M. N Poonamma, Sushila Chanu (Captain), Monika.
Midfielders: Lily Chanu, Lilima Minz, Navjot Kaur, Vandana Kataria, Ritusha Arya.
Forward: Poonam Rani, Rani (Vice-Captain), Anupa Barla, Navneet Kaur.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bodies of 14 executed in Libya's Benghazi found: Medical Centre
- MUST WATCH: When Virat Kohli toyed with Aussie attack
- Shocking: Maoist cadre reveals how women are exploited sexually by commanders
- French police ask Nice to destroy CCTV images of attack
- India avoided adverse Brexit effect, now a safe haven: FM Jaitley