World Chess Championship: Viswanathan Anand apologetic after short draw against Carlsen
Chennai: Defending champion Viswanathan Anand today offerred aplology after he played out a tame draw with white pieces in the second game of World Chess Championship clash against Magnus Carlsen of Norway here on Sunday.
"Today it`s my turn to tender a slight apology," said Anand.
"The position we got after move 12 is a very sharp one. I have studied it in the past, it`s very very complicated and I had not really expected it. That`s clear," he said at the post-game conference at the Hyatt Regencey hotel.
The opening move of the second game today was a big success for Carlsen and it was a great pull back by the Norwegian after Anand had got an easy draw as black in the first game yesterday.
"I will not talk too much about the opening move. I think the critical point was on move 18 when Vishy could have tried but black seemed to be doing fine," world number one Carlsen said.
Anand said things might have become risky for him after Carlsen`s opening surprise coming in the form of a Caro Kann defense.
"I had to decide whether to fly blind because it`s clear that he would have been into more details. I decided to go for a slightly solid line, a slightly prudent decision today, essentially after the queen exchange there is nothing much happening," said the five-time champion Anand.
Anand, however, said the battle royale that has thus far produced just 41 moves in the two games would only get better.
"We both have a little information now as to what the other person is trying, I am sure it will get interesting," the local hero said.
Asked about the preparation for this game`s opening move, Anand said, "I was trying to recollect all sharp variations around move 13-15, trying to figure out what he might be aiming for before he took the path to equality."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why