World Chess Championship: Viswanathan Anand apologetic after short draw against Carlsen
Chennai: Defending champion Viswanathan Anand today offerred aplology after he played out a tame draw with white pieces in the second game of World Chess Championship clash against Magnus Carlsen of Norway here on Sunday.
"Today it`s my turn to tender a slight apology," said Anand.
"The position we got after move 12 is a very sharp one. I have studied it in the past, it`s very very complicated and I had not really expected it. That`s clear," he said at the post-game conference at the Hyatt Regencey hotel.
The opening move of the second game today was a big success for Carlsen and it was a great pull back by the Norwegian after Anand had got an easy draw as black in the first game yesterday.
"I will not talk too much about the opening move. I think the critical point was on move 18 when Vishy could have tried but black seemed to be doing fine," world number one Carlsen said.
Anand said things might have become risky for him after Carlsen`s opening surprise coming in the form of a Caro Kann defense.
"I had to decide whether to fly blind because it`s clear that he would have been into more details. I decided to go for a slightly solid line, a slightly prudent decision today, essentially after the queen exchange there is nothing much happening," said the five-time champion Anand.
Anand, however, said the battle royale that has thus far produced just 41 moves in the two games would only get better.
"We both have a little information now as to what the other person is trying, I am sure it will get interesting," the local hero said.
Asked about the preparation for this game`s opening move, Anand said, "I was trying to recollect all sharp variations around move 13-15, trying to figure out what he might be aiming for before he took the path to equality."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you