World Cup final gold eludes Deepika again, settles for silver
Kolkata: A gold medal in the prestigious World Cup Final eluded Deepika Kumari once again as she settled for her third successive silver after being pipped by Korean Olympic champion Ok-Hee Yun, in Paris on Sunday.
According to information received here, the 19-year-old started wonderfully with three perfect 10s and led 3-1 but a shocking time lapse in the third set enabled the Korean rally past the Indian for a 6-4 win in the showpiece annual fixture held after four stages of World Cup.
This was the 2008 Olympic champion`s second gold in the World Cup Final after 2010, while for Deepika, it was her second loss to Yun as the Indian once again could not overcome the Korean jinx.
In the final of the Shanghai World Cup in May, a judging error by the Ranchi girl had led to a shock loss while in Wroclaw stage last month the 2008 Olympic champion had won with flying colours.
After a superb first set, Deepika shot two 9s and one 10 to tie the second.
Leading 3-1, Deepika had the gold medal on sight as she began with 10-9 in the third set but while coming for the third arrow she did not have enough time to shoot to draw a blank as the Korean levelled 3-3.
Shattered, Deepika shot a poor 8 to concede the fourth set as the Korean led 5-3.
Yun needed a tie in the fifth set to deny Deepika her maiden World Cup Final gold and the Korean held her nerves to hold the Indian 29-29 to clinch her second yellow metal in the event.
Dola Banerjee is the only Indian to have won a gold in the showpiece event.
This was Deepika`s fourth successive World Cup Final appearance. After ranking fifth in 2010, Deepika clinched silver medals in both 2011 and 2012.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- New IPL rules could see Chennai Super Kings lose MS Dhoni
- `Piku` hits jackpot, does Rs 100 crore business worldwide
- Geelani's passport application incomplete, cannot be processed: MEA
- Lalu Yadav invites Jitan Ram Manjhi for joint fight against BJP, JD(U) upset
- Littering, defacement to be made punishable offence
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 may not be announced today
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Check rajresults.nic.in: Rajasthan Board Class 12th results 2015 to be declared today
- Check JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 declared on jac.nic.in
- WBBSE 10th Madhyamik Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015 to be announced on May 22
- Don't know what will happen to my career, says Ranbir Kapoor