World Judo Championships: Majlinda Kelmendi makes history for Kosovo
Rio de Janeiro: Majlinda Kelmendi gave Kosovo their first ever judo world title on Tuesday as she beat Brazil`s Erika Miranda in the -52 kilogrammes gold medal match in Rio de Janeiro.
The 22-year-old - the first Kosovan judoka to win a medal at the championships since it became a state in its` own right in 2008 - was not a shock winner as she came to Rio de Janeiro ranked number one in her category having won the prestigious Masters event.
For Miranda it was also her first medal at either world or Olympic level, the 26-year-old having lost the bronze medal match in the 2007 and 2010 world championships.
It is the first time that Brazil have won a medal in this category.
Bronze medals went to Germany`s Mareen Kraeh and Yuki Hashimoto of Japan - the latter Japan`s third medal in as many events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof