World Judo Championships: Majlinda Kelmendi makes history for Kosovo
Rio de Janeiro: Majlinda Kelmendi gave Kosovo their first ever judo world title on Tuesday as she beat Brazil`s Erika Miranda in the -52 kilogrammes gold medal match in Rio de Janeiro.
The 22-year-old - the first Kosovan judoka to win a medal at the championships since it became a state in its` own right in 2008 - was not a shock winner as she came to Rio de Janeiro ranked number one in her category having won the prestigious Masters event.
For Miranda it was also her first medal at either world or Olympic level, the 26-year-old having lost the bronze medal match in the 2007 and 2010 world championships.
It is the first time that Brazil have won a medal in this category.
Bronze medals went to Germany`s Mareen Kraeh and Yuki Hashimoto of Japan - the latter Japan`s third medal in as many events.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part II
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part III
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How will business be conducted in the future? - Part IV
- Terrorist outfit IS releases hitlist; 4000 people including 285 Indians targeted
- Stop trafficking with a click! New TraffickCam app targets sex workers
- Mathura violence: Judicial probe into Jawahar Bagh incident begins
- IIFA 2016: Dramatic entry! When Shahid Kapoor, Farhan Akhtar hit the green carpet on Spanish donkeys - Pic inside
- Seven killed as car rams into minibus in Kenya's Kwale
- Hope law will be passed for construction of Ram temple by PM Narendra Modi-led government: VHP leader Pravin Togadia