Wrestling`s Olympic exit due to poor management: Sergey Bubka
Moscow: Wrestling was dropped from the core Olympic programme because the sport is run by a federation with deficient management and no clear rules on how to punish breaches of "ethical norms", champion pole vaulter and International Olympic Committee member Sergey Bubka said Wednesday.
Bubka was on the executive board that voted wrestling off the programme from 2020 onwards and relegated the sport to battling seven other candidates for the final remaining slot.
The IOC has not given any reason for the decision, but Bubka outlined the arguments made before the vote, saying wrestling`s governing body FILA lacked important governance structures.
"There are certain significant arguments because as of today there`s no commission for athletes, no administration for decisions of the federation`s executive committee, there`s no women`s committee," he said.
"There are no rules regarding sanctions for the federation`s ethical norms. There are simply statistical data that (breaches) happened."
He added that the final round of voting saw "eight votes against wrestling in the final round, three against modern pentathlon and three against field hockey".
Since the decision was announced, two gold-medal winning wrestlers have returned their medals to the IOC and one Bulgarian official has gone on hunger strike. Bubka said dramatic gestures of protest were a mistake and detracted focus from making necessary reforms at FILA.
"I don`t think you need to do that. Today professionals should work to correct those mistakes that were committed," he said.
"I am confident that wrestling can return because wrestling has ancient traditions, it was on the ancient Olympic programme. So now it`s necessary to work solidly on what`s needed to return and to do everything so that wrestling is on the Olympic programme."
Wrestling`s cause has brought together unlikely allies, with US and Iranian national Olympic officials among those to call for the sport`s reinstatement. The Russian government will do everything possible to salvage the sport, a spokesman for President Vladimir Putin has said.
In the aftermath of the IOC vote to cut wrestling, the president of FILA resigned and has since been replaced by an acting head.
The final decision on the Olympic programme for the 2020 Games will be made by the IOC in Buenos Aires in September along with the announcement of the host city.
The sport has been included in various forms at every Olympics since 1904. In recent years, it has attracted scant spectator interest outside its stronghold countries and faced claims of corrupt refereeing at the Games.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- Death toll climbs to over 1400 as intense heatwave continues in India
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org