Barcelona defender Gerard Pique becomes a father
Barcelona: FC Barcelona defender Gerard Pique has become a father for the first time.
Milan Pique Mebarak was born on Tuesday evening at Teknon hospital in the city, and is the Spain international`s first child with his girlfriend of two years, pop star Shakira.
A statement on the singer`s official website read: "We are happy to announce the birth of Milan Pique Mebarak, son of Shakira Mebarak and Gerard Pique, born January 22nd at 9:36pm, in Barcelona, Spain.
"The name Milan (pronounced MEE-lahn), means dear, loving and gracious in Slavic; in Ancient Roman, eager and laborious; and in Sanskrit, unification.”
"Just like his father, baby Milan became a member of FC Barcelona at birth.”
"The hospital confirmed that the couple’s first child weighed approximately 6lbs. 6 ounces, and that both mother and child are in excellent health."
The news is the latest in something of a `baby boom` at Camp Nou: Lionel Messi`s son Thiago was born at the end of 2012, while David Villa, Cesc Fabregas and Pedro are all to become fathers this year.
Pique has been dating Shakira since 2010, and the couple announced their pregnancy after Spain`s successful Euro 2012 campaign in Poland and Ukraine.
The 25-year-old is suspended for Barcelona`s meeting with Osasuna on Sunday after he was sent off in the defeat to Real Sociedad, so he will be able to watch the match alongside his partner and new-born son.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- Samajwadi Party feud intensifies: Shivpal Yadav sacked, Ramgopal Yadav expelled - As it happened
- 'Ae Dil Hai Mushkil' row: Raj Thackeray says Rs 5 crore 'penance' for signing Pakistani artistes
- Kerala dress code row: 'Why not 'mundus' for men, if 'sarees' for women'
- PM Narendra Modi warns of 'surgical strikes' against black money, corruption