Star, ESPN bag BCCI sponsorship rights for 2013-14 season
Mumbai: The BCCI on Thursday awarded the title sponsorship for all international series and the domestic tournaments in India for the year 2013-14 to Star Private Ltd. and ESPN at the base price of Rs two crore per fixture, considerably low compared to their previous deal with Airtel.
"The Marketing Committee of the BCCI met at the Cricket Centre, Mumbai, earlier on Thursday, to receive the bids made for Title Sponsorship of International Series and Domestic Tournaments to be played in India in the 2013-14 season," BCCI Secretary Sanjay Patel said in a statement.
"The Marketing Committee has awarded the Title Sponsorship Rights for all series to be played in India in the 2013-14 season to Star India Pvt. Ltd and ESPN Software India Pvt. Ltd, at a fee of Rs 2 crore per international match," he added.
Patel said bidders had the option of "bidding for either the series between India and Australia, or the series between India and the West Indies, or both."
There are two international series currently scheduled during the period -- the seven-match ODI series and a T20 game between India and Australia, followed by two Tests and three ODIs against the West Indies.
Sponsorship rights will extend to domestic events such as Irani Cup, Ranji Trophy, Duleep Trophy, Vijay Hazare, Deodhar Trophy and Raj Singh Dungarpur Trophy.
The new deal comes after Airtel`s partnership with the BCCI ended this year. The telecom giant had won the sponsorship rights in 2010 for all international and domestic matches scheduled in India.
The three-year contract, running from September 1, 2010 to March 31, 2013, was worth Rs 3.33 crore for each international fixture. Airtel was also allowed branding on stumps and fixed slots for in-stadium advertising as part of the deal.
There was a three-month window for Airtel to negotiate an extension of the contract, but with no further discussion on the matter, the BCCI`s marketing committee floated fresh tender document last month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price