1st round wins for Sanam, Balaji, Malik on ITF circuit
New Delhi: Sanam Singh, Vijayant Malik and N Sriram Balaji won their respective singles contests to move to the second round of the Futures events on the ITF circuit.
Playing in a USD 15,000 event Toronto, Sanam beat Korea`s Duck Hee Lee Korea 6-3 6-3 in the first round. He next faces Amercian Evan King.
Also scoring a win was Vijayant Malik, who defeated local qualifier Alexandru Pasareanu 6-3 6-0.
In the doubles, Sanam and Malik shocked second seeded pair of Daniel Chu and Erik Vhvojka 7-5 6-4 to make the quarterfinals, where they are up against America`s Sekou Banggoura and Eric Quigley.
In Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, second seeded N Sriram Balaji thrashed Eric Vehovec of Canada 6-0 6-1.
However, former national champion and fifth seed Ranjeet Virali-Murugesan lost to Ecuadore qualifier Sebastian Rivera 6-7 (1) 4-6.
But Ranjeet tasted success in doubles as he and Balaji, top seeds, beat Adham Elganainy and Youssef Hossam 6-1 6-2.
They next face Tuniusia`s Skander Mansouri and Brazil`s Marlon Oliveira.
In, London, Ronnak Manuja lost 2-6 1-7 to British seventh seed Lewis Burton in the first round in his first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Air India lodges FIR against Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad for assaulting staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- DNA: Heroes of surgical strike receives gallantry award
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Should there be strict laws against cow slaughter? Uttar Pradesh CM Yogi Adityanath seeks public opinion
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested