1st round wins for Sanam, Balaji, Malik on ITF circuit
New Delhi: Sanam Singh, Vijayant Malik and N Sriram Balaji won their respective singles contests to move to the second round of the Futures events on the ITF circuit.
Playing in a USD 15,000 event Toronto, Sanam beat Korea`s Duck Hee Lee Korea 6-3 6-3 in the first round. He next faces Amercian Evan King.
Also scoring a win was Vijayant Malik, who defeated local qualifier Alexandru Pasareanu 6-3 6-0.
In the doubles, Sanam and Malik shocked second seeded pair of Daniel Chu and Erik Vhvojka 7-5 6-4 to make the quarterfinals, where they are up against America`s Sekou Banggoura and Eric Quigley.
In Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, second seeded N Sriram Balaji thrashed Eric Vehovec of Canada 6-0 6-1.
However, former national champion and fifth seed Ranjeet Virali-Murugesan lost to Ecuadore qualifier Sebastian Rivera 6-7 (1) 4-6.
But Ranjeet tasted success in doubles as he and Balaji, top seeds, beat Adham Elganainy and Youssef Hossam 6-1 6-2.
They next face Tuniusia`s Skander Mansouri and Brazil`s Marlon Oliveira.
In, London, Ronnak Manuja lost 2-6 1-7 to British seventh seed Lewis Burton in the first round in his first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand