1st round wins for Sanam, Balaji, Malik on ITF circuit
New Delhi: Sanam Singh, Vijayant Malik and N Sriram Balaji won their respective singles contests to move to the second round of the Futures events on the ITF circuit.
Playing in a USD 15,000 event Toronto, Sanam beat Korea`s Duck Hee Lee Korea 6-3 6-3 in the first round. He next faces Amercian Evan King.
Also scoring a win was Vijayant Malik, who defeated local qualifier Alexandru Pasareanu 6-3 6-0.
In the doubles, Sanam and Malik shocked second seeded pair of Daniel Chu and Erik Vhvojka 7-5 6-4 to make the quarterfinals, where they are up against America`s Sekou Banggoura and Eric Quigley.
In Sharm El Sheikh, Egypt, second seeded N Sriram Balaji thrashed Eric Vehovec of Canada 6-0 6-1.
However, former national champion and fifth seed Ranjeet Virali-Murugesan lost to Ecuadore qualifier Sebastian Rivera 6-7 (1) 4-6.
But Ranjeet tasted success in doubles as he and Balaji, top seeds, beat Adham Elganainy and Youssef Hossam 6-1 6-2.
They next face Tuniusia`s Skander Mansouri and Brazil`s Marlon Oliveira.
In, London, Ronnak Manuja lost 2-6 1-7 to British seventh seed Lewis Burton in the first round in his first round.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part II
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam -Part III
- Discussion on Rahul Gandhi's involvement in AgustaWestland chopper scam - Part IV
- DNA : Why BJP is linking Rahul Gandhi to AgustaWestland scam
- GST, land reforms key to boost India's economic growth: IMF
- 63rd National Film Awards: Amitabh Bachchan accompanied by family members!
- SC gives two-day deadline to Delhi govt for plan on phasing out diesel cabs
- Few real women look like as shown in movies, says new survey!
- ISIS kills US service member in Iraq: Pentagon