Aussie star Hewitt accepts wild card to US Clay Courts
Houston: Defending champion Lleyton Hewitt of Australia will make his return from a right hip operation in January at next month`s ATP US Clay Court Championships, the ATP Tour announced Monday.
Former world number one Hewitt has accepted a wild-card entry into the April 5-11 event at River Oaks Country Club.
"I’m really looking forward to returning to defend my title in Houston," said Hewitt. "I couldn?t think of a better place to come back on to the Tour after an injury."
Hewitt suffered the injury while playing in the Hopman Cup in early January and underwent surgery in Hobart to repair a torn labrum after a fourth-round loss to Swiss star Roger Federer at the Australian Open.
Hewitt, ranked 24th by the ATP, underwent a similar operation on his left hip two years ago.
Last year, Hewitt rolled to the title without losing a set. This time, he hopes to become the first back-to-back champion since American Andy Roddick in 2001 and 2002.
"When we got the call that Lleyton was progressing faster than expected on his recovery, we were very pleased to offer him a wild card," said Clay Courts director Van Barry. "We look forward to him coming back."
Hewitt is fourth among active ATP players with 27 career titles, including the 2001 US Open and 2002 Wimbledon titles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Over 60 cadets killed in Pakistan police academy attack
- DNA: Terrorists' new strategy of snatching weapons from Indian security personnel
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi's ''progressive'' remark on triple talaq
- Panel discussion over vote bank politics on Hinduism
- Panel discussion over delayed development in Ayodhya
- Explosion in Delhi's Naya Bazar, one killed; anti-terror wing, Special cell at spot
- WATCH: Akhilesh Yadav's emotional speech revealing the real reason behind Samajwadi Party crisis; he was about to cry
- India vs New Zealand: Awestruck Kiwis witness MS Dhoni driving his Hummer in Ranchi, and photo goes viral
- Lashkar-e-Toiba claims responsibility for Uri attack in posters pasted in Pakistan town
- Naya Bazar explosion: Home Ministry seeks report from Delhi Police; one dead, 5 injured