Aussie star Hewitt accepts wild card to US Clay Courts
Houston: Defending champion Lleyton Hewitt of Australia will make his return from a right hip operation in January at next month`s ATP US Clay Court Championships, the ATP Tour announced Monday.
Former world number one Hewitt has accepted a wild-card entry into the April 5-11 event at River Oaks Country Club.
"I’m really looking forward to returning to defend my title in Houston," said Hewitt. "I couldn?t think of a better place to come back on to the Tour after an injury."
Hewitt suffered the injury while playing in the Hopman Cup in early January and underwent surgery in Hobart to repair a torn labrum after a fourth-round loss to Swiss star Roger Federer at the Australian Open.
Hewitt, ranked 24th by the ATP, underwent a similar operation on his left hip two years ago.
Last year, Hewitt rolled to the title without losing a set. This time, he hopes to become the first back-to-back champion since American Andy Roddick in 2001 and 2002.
"When we got the call that Lleyton was progressing faster than expected on his recovery, we were very pleased to offer him a wild card," said Clay Courts director Van Barry. "We look forward to him coming back."
Hewitt is fourth among active ATP players with 27 career titles, including the 2001 US Open and 2002 Wimbledon titles.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Valour of a soldier: CRPF officer Satwant Singh fights Naxals till his last breath
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- Virat Kohli's 'shot of the year' already has a big challenger – See video to believe!
- WATCH: Dope-tainted Brock Lesnar causes carnage on return to WWE Raw ahead of Royal Rumble