Australian Open: Victoria Azarenka wins maiden Grand Slam
Melbourne: Victoria Azarenka became the first Belarusian to win a grand slam singles title when she claimed the Australian Open title with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Russia's Maria Sharapova on Saturday.
The 22-year-old's first grand slam title also means that she will become the new world number one when the WTA rankings are released on Monday.
With both players virtually carbon copies of each other, Azarenka's footwork and superior speed around the court proved to be the difference as the duo hammered away at each other from the baseline.
Sharapova broke the first game of the match and took a 2-0 lead when she held but was never in the match from then on, with the Belarusian winning 12 of the next 13 games and sealing the title when the Russian hit a backhand into the net.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Tripura Governor gets additional charge of Arunachal Pradesh
- Bucket list: You must try these things at least once before turning 25!
- 7th Pay Commission: 23.5% hike in salaries, minimum pay increased to Rs 18,000 per month; arrears to be paid this year
- These MPs may become ministers if PM Modi goes in for Cabinet reshuffle - List Inside
- SHOCKING VIDEO of Pampore attack surfaces online; terrorists can be heard firing indiscriminately - WATCH