Australian Open: Victoria Azarenka wins maiden Grand Slam
Melbourne: Victoria Azarenka became the first Belarusian to win a grand slam singles title when she claimed the Australian Open title with a 6-3, 6-0 victory over Russia's Maria Sharapova on Saturday.
The 22-year-old's first grand slam title also means that she will become the new world number one when the WTA rankings are released on Monday.
With both players virtually carbon copies of each other, Azarenka's footwork and superior speed around the court proved to be the difference as the duo hammered away at each other from the baseline.
Sharapova broke the first game of the match and took a 2-0 lead when she held but was never in the match from then on, with the Belarusian winning 12 of the next 13 games and sealing the title when the Russian hit a backhand into the net.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Will Akhilesh-Rahul alliance be able to trump BJP in UP elections?
- Arms case: Salman Khan acquitted by Jodhpur court
- Raisina Dialogue 2017: Pakistan must walk away from terror, says PM Modi
- DNA: Analysis of insensitivity shown by political leaders over rising poverty in India
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- World's 30 most dynamic cities: Check out the full list
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's incredible one-handed six demoralises Fawad Ahmed
- China State TV said that its troops can reach New Delhi in 48 hours in war scenario; Indians slay it with their replies
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- Bengaluru pips Silicon Valley to become world's most dynamic city