Azarenka reaches semis at WTA Championships
Istanbul: Victoria Azarenka qualified for the semifinals of the WTA Championships after crushing China`s Li Na 6-2, 6-2 on Thursday.
The world number four from Belarus has dropped just eight games in the showpiece event so far having enjoyed a resounding victory against Australia`s Samantha Stosur in her opening match in the White Group on Wednesday.
With victories over two of the year`s Grand Slam champions on consecutive days, the in-form 22-year-old is emerging as the favourite to take the title having failed to survive the round-robin stage on her previous two appearances in the event.
French Open winner Li, who had beaten Maria Sharapova in her opening match, never got to grips with Azarenka`s power and was often rushed into errors.
Azarenka was never threatened on serve and she claimed victory in one hour 32 minutes when Li sent a forehand long.
The winner of the match between Li and U.S. Open champion Stosur, who play on Friday, will join Azarenka in the semifinals.
Later on Thursday, confirmed year-end number one Caroline Wozniacki faces Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in Red Group while the final match of the day in the Sinan Erdem Arena features Vera Zvonareva and Agnieszka Radwanska.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Rahul Gandhi's and Congress' Twitter accounts hacked: Who's behind it?
- Rahul Gandhi's Twitter handle hacked again
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 4.7 crore cash in Rs 2000 notes! Biggest seizure in new currency post demonetisation - What I-T recovered from Bengaluru, Chennai and Erode
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Scam? 'Aam Aadmi Party using Delhi Transport Corporation to exchange Rs 500, Rs 1,000 notes'