Azarenka reaches semis at WTA Championships
Istanbul: Victoria Azarenka qualified for the semifinals of the WTA Championships after crushing China`s Li Na 6-2, 6-2 on Thursday.
The world number four from Belarus has dropped just eight games in the showpiece event so far having enjoyed a resounding victory against Australia`s Samantha Stosur in her opening match in the White Group on Wednesday.
With victories over two of the year`s Grand Slam champions on consecutive days, the in-form 22-year-old is emerging as the favourite to take the title having failed to survive the round-robin stage on her previous two appearances in the event.
French Open winner Li, who had beaten Maria Sharapova in her opening match, never got to grips with Azarenka`s power and was often rushed into errors.
Azarenka was never threatened on serve and she claimed victory in one hour 32 minutes when Li sent a forehand long.
The winner of the match between Li and U.S. Open champion Stosur, who play on Friday, will join Azarenka in the semifinals.
Later on Thursday, confirmed year-end number one Caroline Wozniacki faces Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in Red Group while the final match of the day in the Sinan Erdem Arena features Vera Zvonareva and Agnieszka Radwanska.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Lalu Prasad calls beef eating people uncultured
- Why did Indrani Mukerjea attempt suicide?
- Dadri lynching: Locals stop Arvind Kejriwal from entering Bisara village
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Sonia begins Bihar polls campaining; accuses PM Modi of 'narrow-mindedness'
- Salman Khan’s ‘Prem Ratan Dhan Payo’ trailer creates a record!
- Indrani Mukerjea's FSL report rules out drug overdose, says no chemicals found in stomach wash
- Muslims banned from Garba in Gujarat's Mandvi; Hindus asked to sprinkle cow urine on themselves