Azarenka reaches semis at WTA Championships
Istanbul: Victoria Azarenka qualified for the semifinals of the WTA Championships after crushing China`s Li Na 6-2, 6-2 on Thursday.
The world number four from Belarus has dropped just eight games in the showpiece event so far having enjoyed a resounding victory against Australia`s Samantha Stosur in her opening match in the White Group on Wednesday.
With victories over two of the year`s Grand Slam champions on consecutive days, the in-form 22-year-old is emerging as the favourite to take the title having failed to survive the round-robin stage on her previous two appearances in the event.
French Open winner Li, who had beaten Maria Sharapova in her opening match, never got to grips with Azarenka`s power and was often rushed into errors.
Azarenka was never threatened on serve and she claimed victory in one hour 32 minutes when Li sent a forehand long.
The winner of the match between Li and U.S. Open champion Stosur, who play on Friday, will join Azarenka in the semifinals.
Later on Thursday, confirmed year-end number one Caroline Wozniacki faces Wimbledon champion Petra Kvitova in Red Group while the final match of the day in the Sinan Erdem Arena features Vera Zvonareva and Agnieszka Radwanska.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- DNA: Analysing the 'no first use' nuclear policy of India
- Amit Shah addresses BJP's mega convention in Delhi
- Is this for real: Ajinkya Rahane bizarre shot went for six, concerned Virat Kohli settles with smile — WATCH
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- WATCH: Tom Latham takes IMPOSSIBLE catch to dismiss Faf du Plessis
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Kapil Sharma-Sunil Grover fight: Will it be a shutdown for 'The Kapil Sharma Show'?