Fabio Fognini triumphs in Hamburg final
Berlin: Fabio Fognini defeated qualifier Federico Delbonis 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 at the Hamburg Rothenbaum final to lift his second career title within two weeks.
The 26-year-old Italian raked in a prize money of $251,200 Sunday and joins the world`s top 20. Besides that, he extended his winning streak to 10 matches on clay as he already lifted the trophy in Stuttgart last week, reports Xinhua.
Argentine qualifier Delbonis, who upset Roger Federer at the semis, caught a bright start as he pulled clear 4-1. Fognini was able to level up but lost the first set to the world No.114.
At the second set Delbonis squandered three match balls while Fognini converted his first set point to seal the second set.
The Italian controlled the proceedings at the decisive set to utilise his first match ball after 2 hours and 27 minutes.
Delbonis will improve his ranking from world No. 114 to 62 whereas Fognini will improve from 25 to 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Exclusive interview with Usman Majid, MLA, J&K Congress
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez