Fabio Fognini triumphs in Hamburg final
Berlin: Fabio Fognini defeated qualifier Federico Delbonis 4-6, 7-6, 6-2 at the Hamburg Rothenbaum final to lift his second career title within two weeks.
The 26-year-old Italian raked in a prize money of $251,200 Sunday and joins the world`s top 20. Besides that, he extended his winning streak to 10 matches on clay as he already lifted the trophy in Stuttgart last week, reports Xinhua.
Argentine qualifier Delbonis, who upset Roger Federer at the semis, caught a bright start as he pulled clear 4-1. Fognini was able to level up but lost the first set to the world No.114.
At the second set Delbonis squandered three match balls while Fognini converted his first set point to seal the second set.
The Italian controlled the proceedings at the decisive set to utilise his first match ball after 2 hours and 27 minutes.
Delbonis will improve his ranking from world No. 114 to 62 whereas Fognini will improve from 25 to 19.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Rahul Gandhi takes potshot at PM Narendra Modi's fashion sense - Watch