Favourite Murray to miss BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards
London: Andy Murray will not attend this year`s BBC Sports Personality of the Year awards as he continues his rehabilitation from back surgery, according to reports.
According to the BBC, the Wimbledon champion, one of 10 nominees for the main award on Sunday, says he has to `sacrifice` being at the ceremony in Leeds to ensure he is fit for January`s Australian Open .
He said that he had a great relationship with the BBC, from the recent documentary to his regular columns throughout the year and he does not want this to be seen as a snub.
He added that he was looking forward to linking up with the show live on the night and being part of it all.
Also on the list of contenders for the main award are Sir Ben Ainslie, Ian Bell, Hannah Cockroft, Mo Farah, Chris Froome, Leigh Halfpenny, AP McCoy, Christine Ohuruogu and Justin Rose, the report said.
The public will be able to vote for their favourite when the ceremony, which will be presented by Gary Lineker, Clare Balding and Gabby Logan, airs on Sunday, the report added.
Voting for the main award, won last year by Sir Bradley Wiggins, will be by phone and, for the first time, online, the report further said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- Train accident in Andhra Pradesh leaves many people dead
- UP Assembly Elections: Akhilesh Yadav releases party's manifesto
- UP elections: Rajnath Singh's Son, Rita Bahuguna Joshi in BJP second list of candidates
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- LIVE: Jallikattu Bill passed in Tamil Nadu Assembly; didn't use force on crowd, says Chennai Police Commissioner
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS
- Karnataka: Baby with four legs, two male sex organs born in Raichur