Federer reaches semis at Indian Wells
Indian Wells: World No. 2 Roger Federer defeated Swiss compatriot and doubles partner Stanislas Wawrinka 6-3, 6-4 in the quarterfinals of the Indian Wells ATP tennis tournament on Friday.
Three-time former winner Federer advanced to the semifinals where he will face Serbian Novak Djokovic who defeated Frenchman Richard Gasquet 6-2, 6-4.
"I have had a wonderful hard court swing," Federer said. "I had a good start to the year, a good six months. I am excited, pretty healthy and really motivated."
Federer set up match point with a thundering forehand down the line then clinched the win when Wawrinka punched a backhand wide ending the 64-minute match on centre court.
The Swiss pair are also teaming up in the doubles draw. No sooner had they finished their singles match then they had to get ready to return to the main stadium court to play doubles against Spaniard`s Rafael Nadal and Marc Lopez as the first match on the night session.
In their only previous meeting this year, Federer crushed Wawrinka in the quarterfinals of the Australian Open 6-1, 6-3, 6-3. He eventually lost to Djokovic in three sets in the semifinals and Djokovic went on to win the title.
"Wimbledon wasn`t that bad," Federer said on Friday.
Federer`s win not only sets his first semifinal match against third seeded Djokovic since the Australian Open but the outcome will determine the number two ranking in the world. Federer has a 13-8 career record against Djokovic.
World No. 3 Djokovic has been blitzing his opponents the last few months and is currently on an 18-match win streak dating back to last year`s Davis Cup final.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Fire in Hauz Khas Village, one found dead
- Premier League 2016-17: Sunderland struggling to match rivals financially, says David Moyes
- England won't force players to tour Bangladesh, says skipper Eoin Morgan
- Uttar Pradesh Speaker to decide on disqualification of Swamy Prasad Maurya
- Public figures must face criticism, don't misuse state machinery: SC to J Jayalalithaa