Federer saves Switzerland`s Davis Cup status
Amsterdam: A singles win from Roger Federer gave Switzerland the decisive point to stay in the top tier of the Davis Cup after taking an unassailable 3-1 lead over the Netherlands Sunday in the best-of-five playoff fixture.
World No.1 Federer dominated Dutch No.1 Robin Haase in Sunday`s first singles rubber here to win 6-1, 6-4, 6-4.
Earlier, Italy kept its spot in the top-level World Group after going 3-1 up against Chile in Naples. Andreas Seppi sealed the victory with a straight-sets singles win over Paul Capdevile, 6-3, 6-1, 6-3.
Kazakhstan will stay in the World Group for a second year after going 3-1 ahead against Uzbekistan Sunday when Mikhail Kukushkin beat Denis Istomin 6-4, 6-2, 6-7(5), 6-2.
Two matches were decided Saturday, with Russia dropping out of the World Group for the first time with a 3-0 defeat to Brazil and Belgium beating Sweden.
Both of the Davis Cup semifinals will also be decided Sunday, with Spain leading the United States 2-1 in Gijon in the first semifinal and the Czech Republic 2-1 ahead against Argentina in Buenos Aires in the other fixture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan