Federer saves Switzerland`s Davis Cup status
Amsterdam: A singles win from Roger Federer gave Switzerland the decisive point to stay in the top tier of the Davis Cup after taking an unassailable 3-1 lead over the Netherlands Sunday in the best-of-five playoff fixture.
World No.1 Federer dominated Dutch No.1 Robin Haase in Sunday`s first singles rubber here to win 6-1, 6-4, 6-4.
Earlier, Italy kept its spot in the top-level World Group after going 3-1 up against Chile in Naples. Andreas Seppi sealed the victory with a straight-sets singles win over Paul Capdevile, 6-3, 6-1, 6-3.
Kazakhstan will stay in the World Group for a second year after going 3-1 ahead against Uzbekistan Sunday when Mikhail Kukushkin beat Denis Istomin 6-4, 6-2, 6-7(5), 6-2.
Two matches were decided Saturday, with Russia dropping out of the World Group for the first time with a 3-0 defeat to Brazil and Belgium beating Sweden.
Both of the Davis Cup semifinals will also be decided Sunday, with Spain leading the United States 2-1 in Gijon in the first semifinal and the Czech Republic 2-1 ahead against Argentina in Buenos Aires in the other fixture.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 1 billion reward for PM Modi's arrest
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- Maggi row: Delhi registers case against Nestle, Kerala withdraws stock from govt stores
- From being the ‘Dabangg’ girl to ‘Akira’ - Sonakshi Sinha’s journey so far
- Rahul Gandhi hails BR Ambedkar, takes potshot at Modi-led NDA govt over IIT Madras row