France lead Poland in Hopman Cup final
Perth: World number 10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga gave France the lead in the Hopman Cup final against Poland held on Saturday night.
Tsonga beat the 288th-ranked Grzegorz Panfil, who was a late replacement for Jerzy Janowicz in the Polish team, in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
Despite the vast chasm in their rankings, the Frenchman had his hands full with the little-known Panfil in the competition held in Perth, Australia.
Tsonga created numerous break points, converting just two of 14, but got a shock when Panfil capitalised on his only opportunity to break in the ninth game of the second set, levelling the match in the process.
However, Tsonga steadied in the decider.
In the women`s singles, world number five Agnieszka Radwanska was to face Frenchwoman Alize Cornet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed