France lead Poland in Hopman Cup final
Perth: World number 10 Jo-Wilfried Tsonga gave France the lead in the Hopman Cup final against Poland held on Saturday night.
Tsonga beat the 288th-ranked Grzegorz Panfil, who was a late replacement for Jerzy Janowicz in the Polish team, in three sets, 6-3, 3-6, 6-3.
Despite the vast chasm in their rankings, the Frenchman had his hands full with the little-known Panfil in the competition held in Perth, Australia.
Tsonga created numerous break points, converting just two of 14, but got a shock when Panfil capitalised on his only opportunity to break in the ninth game of the second set, levelling the match in the process.
However, Tsonga steadied in the decider.
In the women`s singles, world number five Agnieszka Radwanska was to face Frenchwoman Alize Cornet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sheena's diary reveals disturbed relationship with parents: DNA reports
- Shameless cheating in exams, when will Bihar learn?
- Setback for Air India as 30 Boeing 787 Dreamliner pilots resign
- Sheena case: Indrani quizzed jointly with Peter, denies killing daughter
- Trade unions` strike hits normal life across India
- Sonakshi Sinha silences Twitter troll for calling her ugly and it's epic!
- Sheena Bora murder saga: 12 questions that police asked Peter Mukerjea during 12-hour grilling?
- Sunny Leone steamy condom ad (uncensored): Watch why this video is making news
- Indrani Mukerjea confesses to her role in Sheena Bora murder case
- 'Insulted' Samajwadi Party walks out of 'Janata Parivar', to contest Bihar polls alone