French ex-tennis coach loses appeal on rape conviction
An appeals court in southern France on Tuesday upheld a rape conviction against a former top tennis coach and added two years to his sentence, for a total of 10 years behind bars.
Regis de Camaret had been convicted in 2012 of raping two under-age girls at the tennis training camp he ran at the plush Mediterranean resort of Saint Tropez in the 1980s and early 1990s.
Camaret, now in his early seventies, counted former Wimbledon runner-up Nathalie Tauziat and former French national champion Isabelle Demongeot among his pupils.
Demongeot was among those who filed complaints against Camaret. She told the lower court she had been raped for nine years between 1980 and 1989, beginning when she was in her early teens.
The lower court also banned Camaret from any professional activity connected with tennis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Explosive photos and phone conversation – How Mikhail plans to expose Indrani Mukerjea
- Arvind Kejriwal in Bihar, shown black flags at Patna airport
- After daughter Sheena, Indrani Mukerjea planned to kill son Mikhail?
- Sheena murder case: Rahul Mukerjea being questioned at undisclosed location
- Muslims not doing 'enough' to fight Islamic State: Jordan's Queen Rania