French ex-tennis coach loses appeal on rape conviction
An appeals court in southern France on Tuesday upheld a rape conviction against a former top tennis coach and added two years to his sentence, for a total of 10 years behind bars.
Regis de Camaret had been convicted in 2012 of raping two under-age girls at the tennis training camp he ran at the plush Mediterranean resort of Saint Tropez in the 1980s and early 1990s.
Camaret, now in his early seventies, counted former Wimbledon runner-up Nathalie Tauziat and former French national champion Isabelle Demongeot among his pupils.
Demongeot was among those who filed complaints against Camaret. She told the lower court she had been raped for nine years between 1980 and 1989, beginning when she was in her early teens.
The lower court also banned Camaret from any professional activity connected with tennis.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Onam Bumper Lottery/Kerala Thiruvonam Bumper-2016 BR-51 draw result declared - Here is the winning ticket number
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- MNS ultimatum to Pakistani actors: Leave India in 48-hour deadline
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31