French Open 2012: Federer, Djokovic survive five-setter marathons
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Paris: Novak Djokovic outclassed Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-1, 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 6-1 in men`s quarterfinal of French Open 2012 as Roger Federer came back from a two-set down to beat 9th seed Juan Martin Del Potro 3-6, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-0, 6-3.
Djokovic won the first set in just 21 minutes and was leading the second one 4-2. From there on, Tsonga dominated in major part of the game as went on to win the next two sets and the fourth set was extended to a tie-breaker.
Djokovic won the fourth set after which the match witnessed a short delay due to rain and when it resumed, Tsonga seemed to have lost the momentum. Djokovic was at his usual best in the fifth set which he won 6-1.
The Serb is on track to become the third player to becoming the third player in tennis history to hold all four Grand Slam titles at the same time.
Earlier in the day, Roger Federer came back from a two-set down to beat 9th seed Juan Martin Del Potro 3-6, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-0, 6-3 at the French Open to advance to the semifinal here on Tuesday.
The big Argentine started off well with a big barrage of power shots which left the Swiss maestro high and dry in the first two sets but a reoccurrence of the knee injury came in as a major setup back for the 2009 U.S. Open champion who gave away the third set to Fedex rather meekly.
From there on Federer took control with bagel in the fourth set. With a heavily wrapped left knee Del Potro tried to fight it out in the decider but Federer maintained his cool to clinch the set in under 30 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Reliance Jio effect: Airtel offers free unlimited local and STD calls with 4G data at Rs 145
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video