French Open 2012: Federer, Djokovic survive five-setter marathons
Zeenews Sports Bureau
Paris: Novak Djokovic outclassed Frenchman Jo-Wilfried Tsonga 6-1, 5-7, 5-7, 7-6, 6-1 in men`s quarterfinal of French Open 2012 as Roger Federer came back from a two-set down to beat 9th seed Juan Martin Del Potro 3-6, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-0, 6-3.
Djokovic won the first set in just 21 minutes and was leading the second one 4-2. From there on, Tsonga dominated in major part of the game as went on to win the next two sets and the fourth set was extended to a tie-breaker.
Djokovic won the fourth set after which the match witnessed a short delay due to rain and when it resumed, Tsonga seemed to have lost the momentum. Djokovic was at his usual best in the fifth set which he won 6-1.
The Serb is on track to become the third player to becoming the third player in tennis history to hold all four Grand Slam titles at the same time.
Earlier in the day, Roger Federer came back from a two-set down to beat 9th seed Juan Martin Del Potro 3-6, 6-7 (4), 6-2, 6-0, 6-3 at the French Open to advance to the semifinal here on Tuesday.
The big Argentine started off well with a big barrage of power shots which left the Swiss maestro high and dry in the first two sets but a reoccurrence of the knee injury came in as a major setup back for the 2009 U.S. Open champion who gave away the third set to Fedex rather meekly.
From there on Federer took control with bagel in the fourth set. With a heavily wrapped left knee Del Potro tried to fight it out in the decider but Federer maintained his cool to clinch the set in under 30 minutes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi pitches for 'Selfie with daughter' initiative
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Need another agricultural revolution: PM Modi
- Monsoon's after-effects troubling everyday lives in cities
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- MEA declines information on Lalit Modi's passport issue, draws flak
- Varun-Shraddha's `ABCD2` holds a firm grip at Box Office!
- School director beaten to death after two students found dead in Bihar